Second alternator install question/options??

Participant count
  • Participant list

plexlove

Senior VIP Member
missouri
ok, a few questions for you guys.

First, i am wanting to ad a second alternator to my 04 avalanche 5.3.

I want it to be dedicated to my amp only. Im running a t2500 at the moment but may end up going up to something around 4k.

I currently have 105amp stock alt and it doesnt drop much below 13.2 at full tilt unless it hits a long low note then it hits 12.0 so im ot even gonna play it till i get a new alt in.

I am wondering if i can install a second alt (ones on ebay for about $200 that do 275amps, reviews are great) next to my factory and just have it completely dedicated to my amp and batteries?

If so, i needd to know a few details that i have no clue about and after researching cant seem to find straight answers!

I will make my own bracket for it, but am wondering about the belt? and how does it wire up (will i need some splitter or something)

I know some of you are gonna be quick to say, "just go with 1 ho alt" well I dont wanna do that lol, my kinetics dont match my car battery so i dont wanna have to mess with regulators and all that jazz, i just want to bypass my car batt then i will never have to worry about messing up my electrical or really straining my stock alt.

only way i would do just one ho alt is if i could find a GREAT deal on one, as of now im going with a cheapy $200 ebay one because mechman and dc want $400 to $800 for theirs and from what ive read by REAL electrical engineers, not just car audio enthusiasts, a ho alt (no matter what brand) is all the same inside and will do the same thing. Have a buddy who bought the 275amp off ebay 2 years ago for $175 and his electrical is stout! But if anyone has any other experiences let me know because i may just go with a 300 amp or so if its gonna be too much of a hassle to add one

lol yeah i know they are not all built equal, or else they would all be the same amperage, i was strictly talking about brand name hype. There are several on ebay and after reading reviews of people who have had them tested then why in the world would you pay $500 MORE than this one??? 150amps at idle...300 at 1200rmps...sounds good to me!

Now i know there are a few of those ebay ones that are NOT what they say they are but if you do a little research you will find oout who is selling them (even though they all have perfect reviews out of thousands of people).

The power you are talking about is no need for a 2nd alt ..just get a reputable 300a+ singer mechman or dc alt and you will be fine and yes they will all be $500+ and id suggest getting it externally regulated when deaking with gm pcm controlled alts

Guys, idk what you are not understanding, but i already said i will NOT pay for a brand name. Like i said, people have tested these $200 alts and i have a buddy with one and they are the exact same thing, warrenty and all. If i test it and it doesnt do what it is suppose to then ill send it back so enough with people sayin to go with one of the expensive ones lol

Now why would i need to get it regulated? I would think it is regulated already being that the alt im getting is a built one off my truck anyway.

Guys, idk what you are not understanding, but i already said i will NOT pay for a brand name. Like i said, people have tested these $200 alts and i have a buddy with one and they are the exact same thing, warrenty and all. If i test it and it doesnt do what it is suppose to then ill send it back so enough with people sayin to go with one of the expensive ones lolNow why would i need to get it regulated? I would think it is regulated already being that the alt im getting is a built one off my truck anyway.
Externally regulated ...ur trucks alternator is controlled by the computer and like most late model gms it shuts down to a lower voltage around 12.9 when in econ mode ...when runnning that much power a starting voltage of 12.9 is a no no.by externally regulating it u bypass the computer to get. A constant 14 .4-15 volts...and if ur not gona buy a name brand alt and already have a "expert" on the matter.and have already made up ur mind to buy a cheap ebay alt then why come here and ask for advice ? Or opinions?

And the money amd time ur gona waste fabbing up a bracket .one of which u have no idea how to route a belt around or to wire ..u could just get a agm battery for under the hood for about 130 bucks ..all batts dont have to match as long as they are agm

Bro, go read my post! i asked for advice on HOW TO not WHAT TO...never asked anyone for advice on a good alt, just said i was gonna get a cheap one and i know they are fine so if anyone has any other experience let me know!

Originally i wanted to just ad another stock alt for $50 and have two that would be putting out 290 amps....so i wanted advice on that, but i keep chaging my mind on how i wanna do it lol

As far as being regulated, my truck idles at 14.4 so maybe mine isnt

When does cheap ever work out ? But you get that sweet HO alt and Let me know how it works out for ya LOL ! You could get a Boss amp that says it puts out a gazillion watts to go with it!

look guys, i know your on the hype of name brands but not everything is the same. Boss amps have been tested and shown to be complete crap, amps is better to go with something name brand and reliable, BUT if a boss amp came out and people tested them and they put out rated then hell yeah id buy one lol. These alts are tested to put out what they claim ,granted there are several sellers with cheap ones that are crap but the guy im looking at has numerous people saying they do what he says they do so why would you not buy one!??

I can scratch the second alt idea if you think it would be too hard to accomplish but im good at metal fabrication so i didnt think it would be an issue, thats why i asked about the belt lol.

I can get a new battery, not a problem, i have 1 kenetic hc1200 now but have a guy with 2 hc1800's for a bill a piece, could i run the 1200 under the hood and have 2 1800s in the back?

Do more research bud. I don't care what brand you choose, despite what's in my avatar. But I promise you that a cheap reman'd alt with a smaller pulley will not do rated power for long. They have poor heat management, and go bad when driven hard.

Nasty08, his truck is only an 04, so it might not need the bypass. I'm internally regulated and don't need the pcm bypass, and I'm a 2005 gm.

ok, let me make myself more clear lol, the ONE im looking at buying on ebay, my friend has one for years and it works perfect! Hes running 3 t1500 amps and 3 15" mtx 9500s....his voltage stays constant pretty much with a drop to about 13.8 at the most on long lows....275 amps for $175 and its been holding strong for about 2 years now so idk where the problem is in that?

Im sure a LOT of those "refurbs/rebuilt alts are complete junk, read a lot of reviews saying they do less than stock and dont even look like they have been beefed up...im not going near those. But this guys is the one im talking about.. 275 Amp 1996 2004 Escalade Suburban Yukon Avalanche Silverado Alternator | eBay

Ok this is for anyone who maybe was wondering about the "cheap" ebay alt...well last friday my alt bit the dust, so i ordered the one i gave the link to. It is for an avy 5.3, its a 145 amp delco rebuilt to do 275 amps. Besides ups messing up twice on the delivery, i couldnt be more happy! For pretty much $200 i got this thing, put it in and PERFECTION!

Its doing exactly what it should be. My voltage was dropping well into 12v range before and now even at full tilt it wont go below 13.9 and i dont even have my batts in yet....But i suppose time will tell...i have 30 day warranty so im gonna push it HARD to see how it holds up lol and i will keep you updated.

It will be nice if it lasts because i can get 3 of these for the price of 1 name brand alt!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.