Sealed or small ported ??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cadillac02Deville

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 3 dvc12’s I want to jam in a 02 Cadillac deville. I know space wise the sealed box can be build easy with the right air space and all that ,but to fit a ported box for 3 twelves separate chambers 2.5 cubic feet a chamber and tuned to around 32 hz I just can’t figure out a way to make it work ..... should I make a small ported biggest box I can fit or sealed ?? I never used a small ported box I always build mine on the bigger side

The only way to know for sure is to design both enclosures and see what gives the best response. If you take some measurements (make sure the box can fit through the trunck hatch) I will see what works best. Drop a link to the exact subs you're using along with max usable dimensions and I'll work something up

The only way to know for sure is to design both enclosures and see what gives the best response. If you take some measurements (make sure the box can fit through the trunck hatch) I will see what works best. Drop a link to the exact subs you're using along with max usable dimensions and I'll work something up
Max dimensions are 43W 16.5 H 34D
(3 12”s)
I designed a common chamber 5.5 cubic foot after displacements tuned at 33 hz but I dunno about having 3 subs in the same chamber especially since ones brand new and the other two are about a year old .. you think it will be fine in a common chamber enclosure?

Dang up late as well, I dont think the common chamber will be a big deal. The new sub will break in to the same level as the other 2 fairly quickly. It matters less given the ported design and to compensate you can put the new sub closest to the port in case you start to unload. Gotta ask what made you go with the K9 given the mountain of negative feedback and bad experience people have with them. There not bad subs if you don't over power them but the company has been found being dishonest countless times. Did you use the specs from the website for your enclosure? EMF audio pulled parameters for the K9 and got wildly different numbers. Did you pull parameters yourself? If not is there anyway you can? Will help immensely when trying to model something.

Dang up late as well, I dont think the common chamber will be a big deal. The new sub will break in to the same level as the other 2 fairly quickly. It matters less given the ported design and to compensate you can put the new sub closest to the port in case you start to unload. Gotta ask what made you go with the K9 given the mountain of negative feedback and bad experience people have with them. There not bad subs if you don't over power them but the company has been found being dishonest countless times. Did you use the specs from the website for your enclosure? EMF audio pulled parameters for the K9 and got wildly different numbers. Did you pull parameters yourself? If not is there anyway you can? Will help immensely when trying to model something.
No I pulled the numbers off their website , and let me tell you I don’t understand why all these people are having such a bad run with these subwoofers . I been beating them down for a solid year probably longer always been in a ported box and I never not once had any issues whatsoever. I’ve had to boss elite 4000 strapped to them for months ran perfectly now I got a Rockville db comp 5 on them and still no issues lemme take that back when I first got them I blew one of the dust caps off but glued it on and been great ... people must be over powering them in not to spec prefab boxes clipping them until they start to melt .... I wish I had money for some crescendo or some dc level whatever’s or something like that but I’m on a budget , but I get plenty loud you know I just decided to go to the 3rd 12 kinda just to say I have 3 lol it really didn’t need it ... I have a optima yellow in the trunk fed by a 320 amp JS alternator all connected with 2/0 GP no ******** ofc power and grounds 8 gauge gp no ******** speaker wire , a 50 farad cap ,4 bilege fans for amp cooling .....,

I ain't hating on a budget build. Sounds like you might have gotten a good pair but it also sounds like you take care of your equipment despite your aggressive play style. If there is any way for you to pull parameters off of one of the broken in subs that would be awesome, of not ill make due with whats available.

Max dimensions are 43W 16.5 H 34D
(3 12”s)
I designed a common chamber 5.5 cubic foot after displacements tuned at 33 hz but I dunno about having 3 subs in the same chamber especially since ones brand new and the other two are about a year old .. you think it will be fine in a common chamber enclosure?

It should be fine, just play all of them low at first like you were breaking all of them in. Or just lightly free air your sub for a while.

I have 3 dvc12’s I want to jam in a 02 Cadillac deville. I know space wise the sealed box can be build easy with the right air space and all that ,but to fit a ported box for 3 twelves separate chambers 2.5 cubic feet a chamber and tuned to around 32 hz I just can’t figure out a way to make it work ..... should I make a small ported biggest box I can fit or sealed ?? I never used a small ported box I always build mine on the bigger side

If you can post a link to the manufacturer's recommendations or manual for this woofer, I can tell you.

in a trunk you can get away with smaller boxes because trunks can act like series 6th orders. it's just stages of pressurization. the trunk airspace is generally separate from the cab. so the air pressurizes inside of the box, then in the trunk, then in the cab. because of the extra pressure in the trunk, typcially you can do smaller boxes and ports and get a way with it. i did 2 q power deluxe 12's in a tiny nission trunk, like 3 cubes with 2 i think 3" aeros. It was something stupid small, like 3.5 in^2 per cube or something. it was loud. like nobody had hope for this system, it was so cheap and small, but damn it was loud for what it was. a little low end missing tune @ 35 hz or so with all the factors considered.

I ain't hating on a budget build. Sounds like you might have gotten a good pair but it also sounds like you take care of your equipment despite your aggressive play style. If there is any way for you to pull parameters off of one of the broken in subs that would be awesome, of not ill make due with whats available.
How do you pull parameters off a sub ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.