Sealed or ported? In 01 Lexus GS430.. Help??

Participant count
  • Participant list

dlomonosov
10+ year member

FL
Hey guys, I had my system set up recently. I saw some people on Club Lexus forum have this set up, so I went with that (see the pic below). I had 1 cu ft sealed box built for my Infinity Perfect 12" and I had shop bolt it underneath the rear deck firing 4 inches away from the stock hole through the stock hole. The bass was not bad, but I did not like the sub, so I sold it and got the new Boston G5-GTR 12" instead, let me tell you, what a great sub!! like night and day. The shop sells both JL and Boston and said that this sub is so great that the only JL that beats it in SPL is the W7!! Anyway, I got that one instead put into my box. Anywhere I went they said that this set up is not correct and the placement of the box is no good due to cancelation of the sound waves. And it would be better to put it firing towards the trunk lid, sealed sitting on the floor. They took it off and I heard it. It was nice. More impectful and not distorted as I thought it would sound. They said they can built a new box and have a the amps mounted flashed on the custom panel along the sides of the box and have the stock sub hole opened to let the bass into the cabin?!I had my previous Acura set up with 2 Rockford 10" sealed firing towards the trunk, and I thought it was too distorted. I see a lot of people Club Lexus site having a ported box and using stock sub hole as a port. Any ideas?? I could not get any answers there, so I came here. What would be the best set up to get SQ and tight bass, not boomy and utilize the stock sub hole. I never heard ported box sound in the car, how does it sound? Also can you guys show me some pics of your set up if you have them.. I heard SQ comp Audi S4 car in one of the shops in NJ. They had 2 15" new Rockford Power series subs sitting free-air/infinite baffle on the custom fiberglass rear deck completely sealed of from the trunk, I guess thats the hole trick with IF set up, to seal it correctly. And let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever heard. Sounded so powerfull, impectfull, clean, total SQ.. And I thought my ears would pop.. lol.. But a lot of people on forums say IF is just not correct?!!

MY set up picture

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.