Sealed Box with holes??

actlsub
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
New York
I recieved my sealed box today from speakerhole.com. On the terminal piece to connect the wires from the inside of the box to the outside there are two gold connectors, and then above that two holes. Im guessing the holes are to run the wires through? But the wires will not completely fill those holes and air will be able to pass through. I thought a sealed box was suppose to be completely air tight??

Originally posted by actlsub I recieved my sealed box today from speakerhole.com. On the terminal piece to connect the wires from the inside of the box to the outside there are two gold connectors, and then above that two holes. Im guessing the holes are to run the wires through? But the wires will not completely fill those holes and air will be able to pass through. I thought a sealed box was suppose to be completely air tight??
If I'm understanding you, there are holes above the connectors? The connectors are where you would connect the wires external to the box, and on the inside they should stick through so you can connect wires from there to the speakers. There shouldn't be any holes outside the box, not on a sealed.. I'd say call/email them and ask what those holes are there for (I don't think it's for passing wires if you have 2 connectors)..

Depending on their response, you might be sending it back for a replacement (if they messed up, and it seems like they did).. Or, you can glue a piece of wood inside over the holes or outside (but it won't look nice).. just keep the wood as small as you can to minimize the lost volume (should be pretty minimal anyway)..

Hope that helps..

here are the connectors and holes

18856067.jpg

OHHHHHH.. they are IN the cups.. I thought they were in the wood.. sorry..

Not sure, but those look like 1/4" phono plug jackish things.. not sure why there are there with the other conectors, but the other connectors look like co-axial? or banana plugs.. *shrug*

Those holes may be for your own terminal posts if you don't like the other connectors.. not sure why they didn't send plugs for them though, in the event you didn't want to use them.. If they are threaded, you may be able to find some short bolts that fit in there and just screw them shut?

weird..

Yea, they are threaded on the outside so i should definatly plug them up then? best would be to find some bolts, they didnt send plugs

Originally posted by actlsub here are the connectors and holes

18856067.jpg
I wouldn't even bother. Just head down to a local shop with the terminal cup, and get one of comparable size. Most have a standard screw mounting pattern. Should cost $5 for a 5 way binding post cup.

Originally posted by JoeM I wouldn't even bother. Just head down to a local shop with the terminal cup, and get one of comparable size. Most have a standard screw mounting pattern. Should cost $5 for a 5 way binding post cup.
Replacing the cups would work (or should)..

Which posts are threaded? the silver holes or the gold posts? If it's the gold posts, then I'm guessing that's a co-axial connector and shouldn't actually 'pass through'.. you could just get some normal posts and screw them into the 'silver' holes (or remove the silver nut looking things and put the binding posts in there).. Or, if you don't want to mess with any of that, just run the wires in the holes and caulk them up good inside the box.. should seal good enough as long as the wires are reasonably close to the size of those holes... If the co-ax posts do pass through, you could just get some co-ax connectors (maybe a short length of co-ax wire with connectors, or some spare stuff) and stick them on there to seal them..

Originally posted by actlsub Yea, they are threaded on the outside so i should definatly plug them up then? best would be to find some bolts, they didnt send plugs
But, yeah.. try to plug them (or use them, etc) .. no point in having those leaks.. not sure it would bother the woofers much, not a lot of air is gonna move through those holes compared to what the woofers are doing, but it migh get kind of noisy..

Yea i think im going to connect the wires to both sides of the gold connectors, inside and outside of the box, so i should caulk the silver holes tho, right?

Originally posted by actlsub Yea i think im going to connect the wires to both sides of the gold connectors, inside and outside of the box, so i should caulk the silver holes tho, right?
That should be fine, just make sure there's enough caulk... don't be affraid to really goop around it on the inside..

If you don't want to caulk it, you can see about screwing something in.. or buy new cups..

Good luck with that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.