SD card vs USB double din load speed - Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bwap

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I am looking for the fastest way to load music on my head unit. I have a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD and I have tried a few different flash drives and they have all loaded at different speeds. Granted they did have different amounts of data on them, so its not a sure test that the head unit doesn't have a set load per gig. I have been looking for the fastest SD/Flash drives and SD cards seem to be faster.

The SD card I was looking at purchasing was the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS II because of the fast read/write speeds being 280/250 respectively. But if the head unit is limiting the load speed then I would rather not spend all that extra cash if a lower read/write card will be just as fast in my head unit.

I was also wondering if head units used read or write speed to load, id assume read unless the speed is limited by the head units load speed. Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.

I like USB 3.0 or the new mini SD cards. The ones that go in your phone. Been using usb, and SD for years. I have never noticed any difference in speed once plugged into my head unit. I've noticed some load data on the usb, or SD card itself faster.

My opinion- it doesn't matter. Get the one you can get the most memory for the cheapest.

I thought usb 3.0 didn't work for headunits, could be wrong.. but price per speed SD cards still seem faster.

I thought usb 3.0 didn't work for headunits, could be wrong.. but price per speed SD cards still seem faster.
I have a couple 3.0s. I think I've used them on my headunit lol. I like the mini SD cards the most. You can put them in your phone If you want. The adapters you need come in SD version and usb version. You can do a lot more overall with mini SD cards

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple 3.0s. I think I've used them on my headunit lol. I like the mini SD cards the most. You can put them in your phone If you want. The adapters you need come in SD version and usb version. You can do a lot more overall with mini SD cards
Im more concerned about the load speed. when I turn it on or scroll really fast it has to load, I was hoping a faster SD would minimize the load time.

I don't know if the head unit has a maximum load speed, making a faster SD card pointless.. Might just want to call pioneer on that one lol..

u r going to get the best read speeds using a USB just look for one with good read/write speeds, but also to its going to depend on ur head unit on how fast it can read the usb, so if ur HU cand only read at 10mbps then it does not matter what speed u get after that and there is no way to speed it up, i am not sure how HU do that b/c i don't think they will ever tell u their max read speed. but just go with the fastest read USB drive and try that out.

u r going to get the best read speeds using a USB just look for one with good read/write speeds, but also to its going to depend on ur head unit on how fast it can read the usb, so if ur HU cand only read at 10mbps then it does not matter what speed u get after that and there is no way to speed it up, i am not sure how HU do that b/c i don't think they will ever tell u their max read speed. but just go with the fastest read USB drive and try that out.
Fastest read USB doesn't touch the fastest SD card so idk how much of this is true.. anyone have a definite answer or is it all going to be speculation like this?

USB or SD speed does not matter if ur Head Unit cannot perform those speeds which more than likely is the case, like some one said earlier, u may need to contact ur HU manufacture to see if they will provide u the actual read speeds of the SD and USB ports,which i am thinking they will not.

or if supported u can get a Solid State drive and plug that up via USB and SSD kills USB flash drives and micro SD cards.

USB or SD speed does not matter if ur Head Unit cannot perform those speeds which more than likely is the case, like some one said earlier, u may need to contact ur HU manufacture to see if they will provide u the actual read speeds of the SD and USB ports,which i am thinking they will not.
or if supported u can get a Solid State drive and plug that up via USB and SSD kills USB flash drives and micro SD cards.
Yeah but in order to run an SSD, your HU has to have USB 3.0 capability.. I don't think the p3200dvd supports 3.0, could be wrong.. Just going to have to call them and probably get someone who doesn't know wtf they are talking about to feed me some BS. The read speed should be in the manual but sadly it is not, just 90 pages of useless.

Yeah but in order to run an SSD, your HU has to have USB 3.0 capability.. I don't think the p3200dvd supports 3.0, could be wrong.. Just going to have to call them and probably get someone who doesn't know wtf they are talking about to feed me some BS. The read speed should be in the manual but sadly it is not, just 90 pages of useless.
lol that is so true

Called pioneer and talked to a few different people and no one could find the read speed.. pretty sad, as there is a sd card reader and usb reader in the unit which should each have individual read speeds. Its very agitating seeing as the price range on SD cards and USBs are dependent on the read/write speed. $20-$150 for 32g depending on speed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.