Scv 2000d more quiet and in protect after second battery

Hey all. Sorry I cant give much back for all the help I get here. Recently installed 2 fi x 15s with sundown scv 2000d in a 2001 tahoe. Pioneer 7700bt box is 33 hz 9 cubes cscstang designed. Short and sweet the system slammed hard but voltage went down to 12s. So I installed a second battery in the trunk. Optima yellow front and back bought new. After the second battery was installed I instantly thought it wasnt as much output as one battery was. Strangly later after 5 min the amp got warm and went into protect. Restarted headunit and went to normal. Eq is flat bass at 0 low off sla 0 so so 'extra help'. All sundown amps I owned never even got a tad warm so very weird. Subs were not hot or smelly. I ask could the amp be malfunctioning as i bought brand new 2 weeks ago or somehow the batterys are not working together. Voltage didnt even drop anything after second battery connected. Positive wire from front + then to second batt+, + from second batt to amp. Second batt - to good ground amp - to second batt -. Sorry for a long post but figured more information is better then less. Of course 3 fuses are in the line where needed. Thanks

Hey all. Sorry I cant give much back for all the help I get here. Recently installed 2 fi x 15s with sundown scv 2000d in a 2001 tahoe. Pioneer 7700bt box is 33 hz 9 cubes cscstang designed. Short and sweet the system slammed hard but voltage went down to 12s. So I installed a second battery in the trunk. Optima yellow front and back bought new. After the second battery was installed I instantly thought it wasnt as much output as one battery was. Strangly later after 5 min the amp got warm and went into protect. Restarted headunit and went to normal. Eq is flat bass at 0 low off sla 0 so so 'extra help'. All sundown amps I owned never even got a tad warm so very weird. Subs were not hot or smelly. I ask could the amp be malfunctioning as i bought brand new 2 weeks ago or somehow the batterys are not working together. Voltage didnt even drop anything after second battery connected. Positive wire from front + then to second batt+, + from second batt to amp. Second batt - to good ground amp - to second batt -. Sorry for a long post but figured more information is better then less. Of course 3 fuses are in the line where needed. Thanks
Have you checked for voltage after the second battery? Just because you add another battery doesnt mean youll maintain voltage, you have to have a charging system that an handle it.

I am going to when I get home from work soon, officially knew there was a problem on my break. If the charging system was struggling wouldnt I atleast see a volt drop on the dash at the very least? As said right away I noticed it wasnt as much output as just the one battery being hooked up which stunned me.

Where's the neg to neg run from the front to the back. I do one even without a rear batt. Gives you a for sure ground spot in the back. May help might not.

I am going to when I get home from work soon, officially knew there was a problem on my break. If the charging system was struggling wouldnt I atleast see a volt drop on the dash at the very least? As said right away I noticed it wasnt as much output as just the one battery being hooked up which stunned me.

The dash voltage is at front battery... u need a real colt meter hooked straight to the amp. My guess is back connection/ground causing heat and low voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:
May have nothing to do with ur issue but I added to many batts for my alt to properly feed. Causing my voltage to fall drastically at idle and while driving. Amps never protected but got noticeable hotter. If I were you remove batt u added put all wiring back to before batt and see what happens. FYI a 20y old 90amp alt will not properly charge over 500ah of batt.

No, maybe just between the amp and battery trying to charge 200 wasnt enough. I switched to 300 amp ones for under the hood and before the second battery and left the smaller one before the amp. All is well so far. New to the second battery thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.