Screwing in subwoofer to box

dakayus
10+ year member

LA
Hi everyone so I had a HELL of a day trying to drill a hole into my car, which I did after about 30 minutes, then I got all the wiring done. So anyways when I screw in the subwoofer do I predrill the mdf or just drill. I'm used coarse dry wall screws

plus pre drilling will prevent you from putting a drill through the cone
Don't remind me. I did that to a brand new sub, then put some rubber compound on it thinking it would work. Eventually the sub died out.

YES predrill cause its better to be SAFE than SORRY

Last summer i just bought a pair of 12" treo tsx

I stuck one with a drill and almost cried.

I was installing it on the bed of the truck and was reaching over the side of the bed.

thats a nono!

Predrilling before mounting subs is always a good idea but before predrilling set the sub in the box and mark where you're going to put the screws so that it dont look like a 5 year old mounted your sub.

Definitely predrill the holes, and definitely use a screw with a dome head (Letter B); NOT sheet rock screws (Letter E) (You'll ruin the basket)

390px-Screw_head_types.svg.png

Definitely predrill the holes, and definitely use a screw with a dome head (Letter B); NOT sheet rock screws (Letter E) (You'll ruin the basket)
390px-Screw_head_types.svg.png
Never had any problems with E-type screws and baskets on the thousands of subwoofers I've installed...

nG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.