Saying bye to DD.

And this is the trade off with many a linear BL driver. More often than not, you will most certainly be sacrificing peak output capabilities to gain the ultimate in linear performance. This is nothing new. That is why they created the 5400 Ultra. It's the only thing that comes close to a comprise in that relationship. Coming in at a very close second place, though, is an underhung driver. They retain some of the sensitivity needed to still come out okay in the end, while exhibiting exemplary linearity. Any true DD fan should be giving a roper nod to underhung drivers since it's how that company got it's start.
sensitivity is the trade off in subwoofers particularly because of the higher mass(which is why my next driver is gong to be a underhung neo 4" coil driver).

what i mean is power compression shifts Bl and creates non linearities so for high-output high excursion power compression is equally as important as BL curve. meaning a flat bl curve and poor power compression ultimately suffers parameter shifts.

you get what i'm saying?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

If you can hear 15hz man I'm jealous. But yes a background noise does give a sense of size. So does space around each instrument.
actually you can if its loud enough.

If you can hear 15hz man I'm jealous. But yes a background noise does give a sense of size. So does space around each instrument.
OMG, you should hear how these LMS drivers come alive below 20Hz. 15-18Hz is amazing the way it shifts around the air, compressing/rarefying. Somehow, I'm going to find a way to meet up with you. Gotta be a show that we can each travel to and share tips. I want to show you that you can also hear 15Hz and that you can actually appreciate a difference pitch definition in the 14-18Hz area if things are setup properly. I don't mean that to sound the way it does, I know your setup is solid. Ours are just different, I totally go for bandwidth over peak output, but not at the expense of dynamics (if that makes sense). It's a different type of presentation and that's half the fun, just hearing those differences in each other's vehicles.

sensitivity is the trade off in subwoofers particularly because of the higher mass(which is why my next driver is gong to be a underhung neo 4" coil driver).what i mean is power compression shifts Bl and creates non linearities so for high-output high excursion power compression is equally as important as BL curve. meaning a flat bl curve and poor power compression ultimately suffers parameter shifts.

you get what i'm saying?
Totally. In fact I forgot to touch on that compression thing. Yes, that's the other downside to most linear BL drivers, the thermal compression brick wall you hit for peak output or dynamic explosions. But knowing that limitation helps you plan accordingly with more drivers to spread the load and stay away from the compression side of things. That way you get back to a better version of compression, the mechanical type. Just stay underneath the mechanical noise limits and you're golden.

i really want you to hear my driver. i really think you would love it when you consider its capable of taking 2500 up to 3000 watts unclipped. i've heard the sound splinter rlp and countless TC sounds drivers including the eclipse versions. i **** you not this driver is aggressive yet subtle for example it has the SNAP on the drum while playing the guitar effortlessly. and unless your cranking up to hearing damage levels where it does whoompp whoomp you won't hear any characteristics of the driver its just transparant. 22mm 100% in the gap overhung design with a 40mm gap so by most standards that's 30mm xmax but even @ 22mm your looking at more output than most people care for..
Sounds very promising. I suspect moving mass and overall sensitivity is the limitation here? Guessing you make up for that with brute force power applications?
That could work. I can appreciate that approach. I've just always come from the other angle of large enclosures and letting driver breathe so I don't need to pound them with juice and run into thermal compression. Works very well for low level listening, which is where a lot of high power stuff just sounds like garbage, lifeless.

OMG, you should hear how these LMS drivers come alive below 20Hz. 15-18Hz is amazing the way it shifts around the air, compressing/rarefying. Somehow, I'm going to find a way to meet up with you. Gotta be a show that we can each travel to and share tips. I want to show you that you can also hear 15Hz and that you can actually appreciate a difference pitch definition in the 14-18Hz area if things are setup properly. I don't mean that to sound the way it does, I know your setup is solid. Ours are just different, I totally go for bandwidth over peak output, but not at the expense of dynamics (if that makes sense). It's a different type of presentation and that's half the fun, just hearing those differences in each other's vehicles.
Yeah I don't see that happening. I'll be moving soon. It there are not any bases remotely close to you.

Yeah I don't see that happening. I'll be moving soon. It there are not any bases remotely close to you.
back to the issue. i don't have any distortion graphs but as you can see the driver is clearly capable of playing down to 1khz so crossing it around 2500 is perfectly acceptable even 2k is acceptable..

back to the issue. i don't have any distortion graphs but as you can see the driver is clearly capable of playing down to 1khz so crossing it around 2500 is perfectly acceptable even 2k is acceptable..
You don't know what it can play down to without a distortion graph. Frequency response doesn't mean it can play all of it.

Yeah just like you said in the air tonight should be painful. I don't trust your ears.
its not painful. its LOUD AS **** painful. at a moderate listening level its composed and sounds fine. i promise you my system gets well past 125db. you can't correlate sound intensity with tonality! it doesn't distort its just to loud to listen without causing some damage. stop assuming i don't know smh

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date