Saying bye to DD.

Sounds like you experienced a nice little gain in performance/presentation there, congrats.

I've had that same experience with the depth improving after changing something that seemingly should not have had any impact on those aspects of the frontstage. I speculate that the secret lies in phase relationship between the midbass and the top end behavior of the subwoofer (the portion that is in the stopband and is decreasing in output). Even as I scroll through different slopes for the subwoofer while leaving the filter point alone, I can hear the subtle (and not so subtle, lol) differences that it makes on the depth and spacial cues up front. Not talking about the obvious in-out phase between the sub/midbass, of course. Just the subtle effects otherwise, that you are describing.

I think you are right. Really nothing else it could be. The difference is very obvious. It's really the only thing I haven't liked about this car. I think I can live with it now. I was going to change mids but I'm going to hold off until mine fail. They are going on 6 years old but show no issues.

I've always been a fan of frugal, single sub SQ setups and how they can take people by surprise. I'm sure yours is sounding pretty sweet about now.

I've always been a fan of frugal, single sub SQ setups and how they can take people by surprise. I'm sure yours is sounding pretty sweet about now.
It's actually suprising with the output. And it stays up front no matter what it's playing. Well the synthetic bass added after the fact stuff is imaging forward cabin which is still fine. Drums and guitar are planted on the hood.

Tune and install > brand name. I'm very sure a sealed 2012 would have been just as good or better.
Plus, some of the earliest old school DD subs were underhung. You know those were sounding good.

Plus, some of the earliest old school DD subs were underhung. You know those were sounding good.
I don't really think of it that way. A speaker will do what it's told to do.

There has to be a reason only 2-4 drivers are under hung these days. None of the self proclaimed top SQ woofers are.

I don't really think of it that way. A speaker will do what it's told to do. There has to be a reason only 2-4 drivers are under hung these days. None of the self proclaimed top SQ woofers are.
dud you even hear the 9100C? they where so rare very few people heard them.

I don't really think of it that way. A speaker will do what it's told to do. There has to be a reason only 2-4 drivers are under hung these days. None of the self proclaimed top SQ woofers are.
did you ever hear the 9100C? they where so rare very few people heard them.

Sure heard of them, never heard them. But again. Why doesn't anyone use them now? I think I know why, they are not as good as we once remember. Considering a sub only has to cover 2 octaves of filler information.

Again, top shelf SQ woofers are not under hung. If there was an advantage they would be.

Sure heard of them, never heard them. But again. Why doesn't anyone use them now? I think I know why, they are not as good as we once remember. Considering a sub only has to cover 2 octaves of filler information. Again, top shelf SQ woofers are not under hung. If there was an advantage they would be.
they do have inherent advantages. you fail to realise that SQ drivers are built very specifically for wide bandwidth and low volume. once you start to get into low distortion high output driver design physically and fundamentally changes. the 9100C was actually a very nice woofer. output similar to the 3500 and sounded much more realistic.

they do have inherent advantages. you fail to realise that SQ drivers are built very specifically for wide bandwidth and low volume. once you start to get into low distortion high output driver design physically and fundamentally changes. the 9100C was actually a very nice woofer. output similar to the 3500 and sounded much more realistic.
It's sub bass. The realism of the instruments is directly sub to mid bass blending and upper harmonics which is heavily mid bass.

That's something else you will learn if you ever really want to.

It's sub bass. The realism of the instruments is directly sub to mid bass blending and upper harmonics which is heavily mid bass. That's something else you will learn if you ever really want to.
so you are telling me there is NO detail in subbass? you realize that bass guitar plays down to the 30s?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date