Safest way to wire digital volt meter

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm gonna be running 3 xp3000 as a secondary battery bank. I'm wondering the safest way to go about wiring a volt meter to this rear battery bank to monitor it. I've done this once before but I don't feel like I did it correctly that's the reason for the post. The very first time I did a volt meter for a secondary battery setup I ran it with 16g speaker wire I connected the 16g to the positive of the battery and negative to battery straight to the volt meter. Is this the proper way or is there a better way of wiring a volt meter to secondary battery bank?

I'm gonna be running 3 xp3000 as a secondary battery bank. I'm wondering the safest way to go about wiring a volt meter to this rear battery bank to monitor it. I've done this once before but I don't feel like I did it correctly that's the reason for the post. The very first time I did a volt meter for a secondary battery setup I ran it with 16g speaker wire I connected the 16g to the positive of the battery and negative to battery straight to the volt meter. Is this the proper way or is there a better way of wiring a volt meter to secondary battery bank?
Volt meter displays use virtually no amps at all, like 25mA max so you could use 26AWG if you wanted unless it has a very bright LED display, even then 20 will be fine. It's pretty simple, you just hook it up to the positive side to + and the negative side to -. The more important part is determining where you want the monitor to go. There's voltage drop throughout a system, so if you want to monitor the power going to your amp I'd wire it up close to the amp inputs, or if you're monitoring your rear battery voltage I'd go as close to those terminals as possible. The only safety related part of it is to make sure there's no frayed ends on the wires that'll contact each other. What meter is it? Some of them turn off with the car so as not to drain the battery.

I got a stinger one coming I'm going directly to the battery with the positive and ground wire using 16awg wire. The remote lead will connect to my relay that my amps remote wires are connected to so the gauge turns on and off with my deck just like my amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.