Safest Full-Bridge Amps

metalheadjoe
10+ year member

Unapologetic prick
ND
Starting a new thread so I don't jack another user's thread.

Which full-bridge amps are least prone to catastrophic failure? I'm running three dual 1-ohm drivers at 0.67 right now. I need 5k or bigger at whatever load I run. My amp is buried in my install, so if it goes X7, my vehicle is toast.

I dropped off my HCCA5k to be repaired today, and they said it will be a couple weeks, so I'm exploring other options.

Starting a new thread so I don't jack another user's thread.

Which full-bridge amps are least prone to catastrophic failure? I'm running three dual 1-ohm drivers at 0.67 right now. I need 5k or bigger at whatever load I run. My amp is buried in my install, so if it goes X7, my vehicle is toast.

I dropped off my HCCA5k to be repaired today, and they said it will be a couple weeks, so I'm exploring other options.

Honestly, I think reliability has less to do with amp architecture and more with quality control. Taramps, statsom, and banda seem to be the most prominent "Brazilian" full bridge. The smart 5 is a beast of a performer. Your subs present an odd load and I'm not sure on the specs, but I do think the smart 5 bass is 1/2 ohm capable so you will be fine.

The thing to remember is you have to stick to the amps specs. If it says don't exceed 14v input, then don't do it. If it says don't run below 2 ohm, then don't. These aren't Korean half-bridge amps.

A big part of the "reliability" problems come from people comming from Korean amps that they can run at 1/4 ohm on 12v and they just protect. You can't do that on a full bridge amp.

Matt

Was the hcca unreliable?
It had turn-on pop since it was new. Then the bass knob quit working. I fixed the bass knob. Now the bass knob makes the subs move when I adjust it. I emailed Orion and they said they don't have any knobs to sell and sent me an amazon link to a universal bass knob.

I've never had an amp fail before, so I consider my HCCA unreliable, but maybe I did something wrong. Who knows?

Honestly, I think reliability has less to do with amp architecture and more with quality control. Taramps, statsom, and banda seem to be the most prominent "Brazilian" full bridge. The smart 5 is a beast of a performer. Your subs present an odd load and I'm not sure on the specs, but I do think the smart 5 bass is 1/2 ohm capable so you will be fine.

The thing to remember is you have to stick to the amps specs. If it says don't exceed 14v input, then don't do it. If it says don't run below 2 ohm, then don't. These aren't Korean half-bridge amps.

A big part of the "reliability" problems come from people comming from Korean amps that they can run at 1/4 ohm on 12v and they just protect. You can't do that on a full bridge amp.

Matt
Thanks for your reply.

I hear about Taramps on here a lot. I was thinking Smart 5 Bass. What do you think of Sundown full bridge or B2 MA6000.1?

I can deal with an amp failure, but I don't want my vehicle to start on fire!

- Joe

It had turn-on pop since it was new. Then the bass knob quit working. I fixed the bass knob. Now the bass knob makes the subs move when I adjust it. I emailed Orion and they said they don't have any knobs to sell and sent me an amazon link to a universal bass knob.

I've never had an amp fail before, so I consider my HCCA unreliable, but maybe I did something wrong. Who knows?
Yeah I'd consider a change too...that's a good priced amp to be done like that...

Thanks for your reply.

I hear about Taramps on here a lot. I was thinking Smart 5 Bass. What do you think of Sundown full bridge or B2 MA6000.1?

- Joe

I have zero experience with either of those amps. I feel like Sundown is the new JL audio, and it bothers me. It's good stuff, but I feel like the price is a premium, when years ago it was the same good stuff but half the price.

Anyone with a system or any kind of performance mods should keep a fire extinguisher in their car. Cheap insurance.

Matt

Thanks for your reply.

- Joe

The biggest Sundown full bridge is the SIA3500. I'm running one right now and I love it. Steer clear of the SFB line. Sundown is coming out with an SIA5000 sometime in the future (it's in their manual already) as well as an 8, 12, and possibly a 16K.

A friend of mine is running an SFB 8000 at 1 ohm. Had it for going on 2 years (might be more, I'll ask him to double check) hasn't had a problem with it at all.

I think the early models of full bridge amps had a bad rep and left an equally bad taste in the mouths of us bassheads but some were still willing to try them and have gotten great results as a result and saved space as well. I'm still on the half bridge side of the road but I may be willing to change soon

The SFB line seems to be hit or miss. I went through two SFB3K's in a short amount of time. They just went into protect. I was at low volume when the last one went into protect. JP gave me full credit for the SFB3K and let me upgrade to the SIA3500. It's a great amp.

What do you think of Sundown full bridge or B2 MA6000.1?
I'd like to think if those Chinese Soundigital knockoffs were catching fire someone would have heard of it by now considering how many have been sold under how many brand names. They're definitely not well made and reliable so I wouldn't touch one without a warranty, but I don't think anybody's car is burning down.

Really the last amps that were known for actually producing flame were the CT sounds back when they first came out.

I feel like Sundown is the new JL audio,
Except JL actually pays engineers to do real R&D and employs over 200 people to manufacture some things in the USA. Still though, Sundown is big enough that he has some serious overhead operating costs AND both companies must keep MSRP high enough to allow a margin for brick and mortar shops to sell the product.

years ago it was the same good stuff but half the price.
But who is really selling those same products for half the price now?

Sundown SFB amps are around the same money as the same boards with a different logo on them plus third party warranty that would make up for what you buy with the Sundown name.

Lots of "brands" come and go with a business model of how little margin they can try to get out of that stuff and there seems to be an endless supply of people willing to lose their arse trying to undercut the people who price high enough to actually survive more than a year or two.

Thanks for your reply.

- Joe

I know a lot of my customers run either Taramps or Sundown SIA’s/SFB’s. The Taramps seem to be a really solid performer, but not sure at .67.

You could run 2 amps with each amp at 1.33 if you have dual 4’s for stability. Wire one coil of each sub to each amp in parallel, but may be harder to tune. Like if you’re worried about running .67 daily with a full bridge.

I sold my Timpano amplifier. I called it “the car fire 1400”. No overcurrent protection in the Timpano amplifier. Doing that 1 extra click on the volume with that amp came with a huge risk of catastrophic failure. I had a 100 amp fuse on my power wire to do my own overcurrent protection, but some kid with a 300 amp fuse on his power wire could easily start a fire with it.

I sold my Timpano amplifier. I called it “the car fire 1400”. No overcurrent protection in the Timpano amplifier. Doing that 1 extra click on the volume with that amp came with a huge risk of catastrophic failure. I had a 100 amp fuse on my power wire to do my own overcurrent protection, but some kid with a 300 amp fuse on his power wire could easily start a fire with it.

Yea, timpano are a brand I would stay away from...

I'm very biased and I'm sure you already know but 13 Taramps amps and never an issue. Most of the failures you hear about was from the old HD line. The MD, Smart, and Bass lines are much more reliable.

My only complaint about Taramps is their **** pots. They are touchy and very cheap but I have always used active crossovers anyways.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...