SA-12's vs ZRS-1000

Apparently so lol. I think If I tried to put 1k through each of them daily, the surrounds would be gone instantly and quite possibly the dust cap too. They certainly could handle that power on a high hz burp because they wouldn't be moving much. Thermally I have no doubt they can take 1k. They are suspension limited

Apparently so lol. I think If I tried to put 1k through each of them daily, the surrounds would be gone instantly and quite possibly the dust cap too. They certainly could handle that power on a high hz burp because they wouldn't be moving much. Thermally I have no doubt they can take 1k. They are suspension limited
Oh ok I see. He never pushed them, so I could never tell how much they could handle. It is impressive that someone did a 150 something off 2 of them, though.

Tuned at like 60hz though lol. I agree it is impressive but people can't be expecting those numbers daily. I'd say my 2 are in the mid 130 range off of 400 each (in a daily box). I think the 4 off 2k will be in the mid 40's.

Zach is right -- SA8 will run out of suspension travel well before 1k daily.

IMO... that is a good thing... it can drive the cone to full stroke without requiring a ton of power to do it.

My rs got louder on meter and on ears then my sa-12's. The sa-12s sound slightly better. Not worth paying double the price of the r for sa-12.
Chances are you could have changed the box a bit and equaled them out on given power -- SA12 has a bit more MMS as the cone is significantly thicker and also has a bit harder suspension.

Start to put some more power on them and the Type-R will fail WELL before an SA-12 and the Type-R also has less maximum suspension travel so will also fail earlier mechanically -- I've tested the thermal capacity of both as well as mechanical durability. While the R is a good driver for the $ it is not even close to as rugged as the SA line.

Being that the drivers have similar motor force factor and the parameter differences are mainly in MMS and CMS -- I will again state that you could make box changes and end up with similar results per watt. Not just pulling that out of my butt -- I have tested changes in MMS and CMS and what goes on in SPL as a result of them.

In the end when designing the SA-12 I chose to use stronger spiders and cones to match up with the rugged thermal performance of the driver. The R simply cannot handle enough power continuously to take advantage of stronger components here based on my thermal and mechanical testing.

In summary... with the R you have less mass in a significantly thinner cone and a softer/weaker spider and in turn in a given enclosure volume are likely to be a bit more efficient. You also have a MUCH less rugged driver thermally and mechanically -- one that is also trash if it is eventually damaged as re-cone components are not available. In any contest of durability the R falls well behind the SA -- the triple joint will break on a Type-R in the short break-in test we do on each and every SA-12 that is shipped.

If you like the R that is great -- it is a good driver price to performance.

Being that the drivers have similar motor force factor and the parameter differences are mainly in MMS and CMS -- I will again state that you could make box changes and end up with similar results per watt. Not just pulling that out of my butt -- I have tested changes in MMS and CMS and what goes on in SPL as a result of them.
In the end when designing the SA-12 I chose to use stronger spiders and cones to match up with the rugged thermal performance of the driver. The R simply cannot handle enough power continuously to take advantage of stronger components here based on my thermal and mechanical testing.

In summary... with the R you have less mass in a significantly thinner cone and a softer/weaker spider and in turn in a given enclosure volume are likely to be a bit more efficient. You also have a MUCH less rugged driver thermally and mechanically -- one that is also trash if it is eventually damaged as re-cone components are not available. In any contest of durability the R falls well behind the SA -- the triple joint will break on a Type-R in the short break-in test we do on each and every SA-12 that is shipped.

If you like the R that is great -- it is a good driver price to performance.

That's what I'm saying, forget a recone, just drop less than $100 and get a whole new sub!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.