Sa-12 Speaker Wire Gauge Question

At that power level it wont make a single difference in output or sound quality if you used 16 gauge or 4 gauge. Its not carrying amperage which is heavily dependant on wire size. Its AC voltage, an amplified signal, the threshold of size needed is a lot less than what people think.

Thanks guys, I'll go with 8 gauge instead of 12 gauge, just incase.

8 gauge is not needed and ridiculous. You're not running much power. Hell I'll be running 3k soon and will be running 12 gauge still. Now, if you were running multiple subs with 1000's of watts then that might be the time to think about using 8 gauge.

At that power level it wont make a single difference in output or sound quality if you used 16 gauge or 4 gauge. Its not carrying amperage which is heavily dependant on wire size. Its AC voltage, an amplified signal, the threshold of size needed is a lot less than what people think.

Gotta love it when newbies come on here asking for help and go the opposite direction we tell them or suggest. Why bother asking if all they do is listen to the village idiot.

Wrong answer.

Nominal cost increase going from 12 ga. to 8 ga. He will be set whenever he is ready to upgrade. Just like people oversize their amp power wire when it isn't necessary. Just like people buy huge amps when they aren't necessary. Everybody wants headroom and to be safe. 8 ga. isn't going to hurt anything.

Nominal cost increase going from 12 ga. to 8 ga. He will be set whenever he is ready to upgrade. Just like people oversize their amp power wire when it isn't necessary. Just like people buy huge amps when they aren't necessary. Everybody wants headroom and to be safe. 8 ga. isn't going to hurt anything.
It will hurt your wallet, in the long run he could have gotten better amps subs, and actual power wire vs wasting money on oversized speaker wire. I literally got zero gain on the meter going from 10 gauge to 8 gauge with 30k rms. He wont even notice 16 gauge to 12 gauge with his 1200 rms. Its basically inefficient use of capital with zero returns on investment. Again this is NOT AMPERAGE going through the wire, you dont treat it like power wire.

Last edited:

Read post #10 carefully.

It will hurt your wallet, in the long run he could have gotten better amps subs, and actual power wire vs wasting money on oversized speaker wire. I literally got zero gain on the meter going from 10 gauge to 8 gauge with 30k rms. He wont even notice 16 gauge to 12 gauge with his 1200 rms. Its basically inefficient use of capital with zero returns on investment. Again this is NOT AMPERAGE going through the wire, you dont treat it like power wire.

Really? One 10' speaker run from 12 ga. to 8 ga. costs the same as better amps, speakers, and subs? I ain't buying what you're selling. Literally, maybe, a $2 difference. He's not mass producing car audio systems where you would actually feel a price increase on a particular wire. We are talking one little run to a sub. I'm running 8 ga. to my sub, literally four feet long. Not a big deal! Nice try though! SNL skit ****! 😂

Really? One 10' speaker run from 12 ga. to 8 ga. costs the same as better amps, speakers, and subs? I ain't buying what you're selling. Literally, maybe, a $2 difference. He's not mass producing car audio systems where you would actually feel a price increase on a particular wire. We are talking one little run to a sub. I'm running 8 ga. to my sub, literally four feet long. Not a big deal! Nice try though! SNL skit ****! 😂
depends if you are using CCA or OFC. Costs rack up if you waste money on useless **** like this, you dont really do any accounting but I'm strict on that **** and it does add up. All these useless audio buys in a couple year's span does equate to a partial amp/sub buy or a full amp kit buy.

AND if its a short run, by POWER wire logic, since its a short run, it shouldn't even need that much bigger gauge right?!!?!?! LOL. (trolling bro)

depends if you are using CCA or OFC. Costs rack up if you waste money on useless **** like this, you dont really do any accounting but I'm strict on that **** and it does add up. All these useless audio buys in a couple year's span does equate to a partial amp/sub buy or a full amp kit buy.

AND if its a short run, by POWER wire logic, since its a short run, it shouldn't even need that much bigger gauge right?!!?!?! LOL. (trolling bro)

Trolling? I answered his question, 8 ga. You guys are on my nuts over a silly speaker wire run to a sub. Maybe, he has some 8 ga. laying around, use it. Oh wait, you want 12 ga. that he might not have on hand. So, go buy some 12 ga. just to make you guys feel good about your answer. Like I said, he's not mass producing car audio systems, so, one 8 ga. run to a sub, isn't going to keep him from upgrading his speakers, HU, sub, or amps. Be real kids!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.