S10 cheap SG system

ZO6killinsbf
10+ year member

Beer is good
Thats right, SG "Sound Good". I see all these "cheap SQ" builds and the dudes just get hammered about blah blah, and blah blah. This is a strictly "make it sound good, as cheaply as possible". I'm going for an all around good system for a daily driver, budget build. If y'all see I'm doing something stupid, please chime in. I'm up to any recommendations and never claim to be an expert. Enough of that, here is the good shiz.

Equipment:

HU: Pioneer DEH-P6700MP (was in truck when I got it)

Front stage: MB Quart 6-1/2" Formula comps

Front amps: (2) Hafler MSE44tm

Xover: Coustic XM-3

Subs: (2) ID8D2V3

Sub amp: PPI PCX1250

Sound deadening: Damplifier, eDead, LuxuryMat Pro, experimental hardware store foam

Here is what I started with. I had already put these in (MB Quart Formulas 6-1/2's) but was never happy with the way they sounded. The door panels buzzed and they had a really weak sound too. Soo..

DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

Check out my SWEET wiring. Also a little bit of Damplifier. I'll add some more before Im done, I just ran out.

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

Got the factory buckets out.

DSCF0205.jpg

Template for backing plate and to cover the hole.

DSCF0207.jpg

Just making sure it fits the door panel

DSCF0208.jpg

Door panel before

DSCF0209.jpg

after (it still needs trimming, this isnt finished)

DSCF0210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out the factory pod mounted to my backing plate fits great and gives me just the right amount out angle after I twisted it around. (this is one of those cheap things). Also, I cant cut a true circle to save my life.

DSCF0213.jpg

Pod wrapped (it's a dolphin print blanket, sweet huh?)

DSCF0214.jpg

I didnt get any photos of the resin applied but it's drying right now. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be dry but it's cold out now, so we'll see.

OK, back to the drawing board. I guess something shifted or whatever. After I got the piece bolted in and slid the door panel over, the speaker hole was about an inch up in the door panel and there was a huge gap at the bottom of the cut out. I guess now I would rather turn the panel into a mount instead of a pod. Takes all the lining up BS out of the equation.

OK, back to the drawing board. I guess something shifted or whatever. After I got the piece bolted in and slid the door panel over, the speaker hole was about an inch up in the door panel and there was a huge gap at the bottom of the cut out. I guess now I would rather turn the panel into a mount instead of a pod. Takes all the lining up BS out of the equation.
**** , that ***** bro.

Got some some deadening done though. Saw the mat trick used by another guy on here and thought I'd try it. Seems to be significantly quieter driving. Also, last week I wrapped some pieces in suede and dyed some black.

DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

Heres how the pods looked bolted up. Too bad they didn't end up fitting.

DSCF0220.jpg

DSCF0221.jpg

OK, redrilled bolt holes and did "a little" trimming on the door panel. Only thing, when I compare this side to the untouched pass side, it sounds like poo. The other side sounds WAY more rich and full. What did I do wrong? Checked wiring. Is the pod too small?

I know I have some touch up work to do as I kept buzzing the pod with the drimmal as I was trimming and some low spots in the glass. But that's nothing difficult.

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0222.jpg

Yes.

Just got home with a Precision Power PCX1250 for said subs. This thing is BRAND NEW!! Not a single scratch top or bottom, just where the screws were. It needs the plugs but Whitedragon hooked me up with a link for them.

Yes.
Just got home with a Precision Power PCX1250 for said subs. This thing is BRAND NEW!! Not a single scratch top or bottom, just where the screws were. It needs the plugs but Whitedragon hooked me up with a link for them.
Get some pics up of that beauty. Dont tell anyone what you paid for it either ;P

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.