Running subs at a 0.5 load daily?

tez4life
Premium Member

Premium Member
Mobile, Al
Just had a fairly simple question. In a ideal sistutaion, with a strong electrial system backing up the amps, its it ok to run subs off a a amp at a .5 load daily?

I have heard conflicting opinions, but im not sure. I didnt mention any brands but just assume quality amps and subs (Sundown, Audioque, FI, etc...) , would it stress the sub too much?

Again assuming its being feed around its RMS rating, I here that it will send to much current to the subs and cause them to warm up, is that true as well. A lil confused and looking for a answer, any input is greatly appercated, thanks.

Yup, its the Amp that can struggle at that low of a load for daily
Thats what concerned me, I didnt mention what amps buts its a pair of Sundown 1500ds. I was worried that it would be too much for the subs at that load daily.

The sundowns strapped together at a .5ohm load, would mean each amp would be at .25ohms, but with box rise, and all that fun stuff you should be above that, those amps burp at .25ohms but dont do it daily, unless you roll into them slowly!! but if your running one amp to one sub at .5ohms they will do that noproblem!!!

Id try it and see what happens!! they should just go into protect if they dont like it, my atomic3000.1(same as the sundown saz3000d) ran cool and effortless @ .5ohms daily!!!

Cool, I see the light now lol. But seriously, I meant strapping the Sundowns together at a

1 ohm load. Pretty much got the answer I figured, just wanted some more input on the subject, thanks fellas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

it will heat up the subs, and can melt terminals on the sub(with quality subs this is not a prob). they are varry right about the amps tho, not many will do it. to bad the sundowns are guaranteed at .5=). great choice in amps but also what the sundown dude said man if you run the subs down to .5 you have warranty on those bad boys(sundowns are great). all that i really think you need to do is make sure your electrical can keep up, those two amps will pull massave amps

A subwoofer's coil is set to a certain resistance. It'll never change (For all intensive purposes in this example)

What you change is how the coils are wired together for the final impedance that the amp sees, and what kind of power you will put through the sub's (the load)

the lower the ohm load, the more amperage and the less voltage your coil gets (the low voltage is compensated for by amperage)

amperage causes heat which is why we run 1/0awg+ in our cars but 16-12awg in our homes

now what do we get when we combine (excessive) heat and a voice coil? burnt coils //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

also, the added heat from the low ohm load causes lots of imp. rise and you dont really see an enormous ammout of extra power (you do see extra power but its no where near 2x like Ohm's Law states due to heat that the amp and coils werent really designed for)

.5 and lower gets pretty dangerous for your coils in a daily install but it can be done...

it's alot easier just to run things how they were made though

A subwoofer's coil is set to a certain resistance. It'll never change (For all intensive purposes in this example)
What you change is how the coils are wired together for the final impedance that the amp sees, and what kind of power you will put through the sub's (the load)
the resistance changes every time the coil sees power

heat causes resistance and amps cause heat (to the coils)

inductive reasoning should help you figure out my point...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.