running speaker wire to doors?

TotalNOOB
10+ year member

USA
I have a nissan 350Z and i am currently running an alpine MRV-F450 with CDT CL-61A speakers up front. So im sending about 50watts RMS to my doors. Any point to run new speaker wire to the doors or is the stock speaker wire (which is either 20 or 22g) fine?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to replace the stock speakers in my Saturn SL2 and the speaker wire is very thin, I'm guessing guage 24. It's too small for my wire stripper, slides right through the smallest setting.

My hesitation is that I'm guessing it will be a royal pain in the butt to run new wire. Probably worth it though, especially since I want to add an amp eventually. What would be a good size to go with, 18?

bet the door and the chassis of the car, there's a black 'tube' that connects them together. pass spk wire thru there. run 16-18awg spk wire

Unless the vehicle has a molex type of connection between the door and the frame, then this wire upgrade will be a large size pain in the a$$ that you do not want to even attempt yourself. If the boot that covers these wires going into the door has a large oval shaped cover at one end, usually the vehicle side, this is a good indication that there is a mnolex hiding in behind it.

If you want to attemp this, you will have to remove the molex and either drill a hole through an area in it where there are missing pins. If there are no missing pins, sometimes you have to reconfigure the pins in both sides of the molex in order to get the factory speaker wires right beside each other (if they are not already). Then remove these speaker wires from both sides of the molex's, drill out the holes and pass your new larger wires through. It is a good idea to run new wires when amplifying front speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.