Running Active!

well according to my headunits manual, i think i can run a 3 way active system, like a tweeter, midrange and midbass.

since it has front hp/rear hp and rear lp, and subwoofer controls, my friend told me 3 way includes the sub controls, but the manual has 4 total. hmmmmm

is there something specific that you'd like to achieve by going active?
Better overall sound, i mean active is always better than passive from what i read and learned. and a mid and tweet is under $30, well from the 2 i chose. so if i blow one it will be easier to replace than finding a new dls mid.

That unit was meant to run 2-way + sub.

There's nothing inherently special about running active. Yes you do get to pick your own drivers, but you should want to go active for more than just that.

^^What he said^^

Better overall sound, i mean active is always better than passive from what i read and learned. and a mid and tweet is under $30, well from the 2 i chose. so if i blow one it will be easier to replace than finding a new dls mid.
depending on who is behind the wheel, active is not always better than passive.

It would be nice if you elaborate on the "better overall sound" thing.

That unit was meant to run 2-way + sub.
There's nothing inherently special about running active. Yes you do get to pick your own drivers, but you should want to go active for more than just that.
Really, well I will turn on the active feature and see what options i had, from what i read in the manual, the sub filters are under a different menu. when the crossover is activated, i get 3 more options under a different menu, which has fron hp, rear hp, and rear lp.

but if thats the case then the rear lp will be the sub, then the front hp and rear hp will be the mid and tweet.

^^What he said^^

depending on who is behind the wheel, active is not always better than passive.

It would be nice if you elaborate on the "better overall sound" thing.
More detailed and cleaner, my headunit does not have any front/rear hp controls, like my 780MP did. Also I always wanted to try active.

Really, well I will turn on the active feature and see what options i had, from what i read in the manual, the sub filters are under a different menu. when the crossover is activated, i get 3 more options under a different menu, which has fron hp, rear hp, and rear lp.
but if thats the case then the rear lp will be the sub, then the front hp and rear hp will be the mid and tweet.
rear hp + rear lp = bandpass.

tweets - hp

mids - bandpass

sub - lp

More detailed and cleaner, my headunit does not have any front/rear hp controls, like my 780MP did. Also I always wanted to try active.
detailed and cleaner would just basically depend on the speakers. nothing really to do with active crossovers.

have you heard a car that's running and active setup? You should really talk to this guy:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/51708-500-hp-bmw-m3-goes-hybrid-audio.html

He is in the northern suburbs and is extremely knowledgeable. I just went up this weekend to listen to the bimmer in the thread and it really blew me away. But he's a great guy and should be able to answer most questions you would have about going active. Sometimes it feels better to get advice in person rather than from an online forum.

have you heard a car that's running and active setup? You should really talk to this guy:http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/51708-500-hp-bmw-m3-goes-hybrid-audio.html

He is in the northern suburbs and is extremely knowledgeable. I just went up this weekend to listen to the bimmer in the thread and it really blew me away. But he's a great guy and should be able to answer most questions you would have about going active. Sometimes it feels better to get advice in person rather than from an online forum.
on an online forum, you get to pick and choose which retard's advice to take. in person, you're stuck with one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Whelp, if you ask a tard like me, I'd never recommend an active setup I've never actually used. Eh, Mr RSX? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I'd say "practice" on your current drivers by replicating the passive xover points on your HU, first. Then move them up/down and listen to what that does. Then adjust the slope and listen to what that does. Then flip the polarity back and forth on all drivers...or have a friend do it while you're listening. Then T/A your mids (w/out the tweets playing) and listen. Then the tweeters alone....listen. Then both together...yes, still listening. Then everything all at once....all the while, yes you got it, listening. Of course, before all of this, you'd want to level match the L and R sides of the car on your preamp voltage desensitizer rotatory knob adjuster thing with your DMM. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Easy as pie. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

THEN, maybe....maybe go buy some other drivers.

Whelp, if you ask a guy like me, I'd never recommend an active setup I've never actually used. Eh, Mr RSX? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
I'd say "practice" on your current drivers by replicating the passive xover points on your HU, first. Then move them up/down and listen to what that does. Then adjust the slope and listen to what that does. Then T/A your mids (w/out the tweets playing) and listen. Then the tweeters alone....listen. Then both together...yes, still listening. Then everything all at once....all the while, yes you got it, listening. Of course, before all of this, you'd want to level match the L and R sides of the car on your preamp voltage desensitizer rotatory knob adjuster thing with your DMM. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Easy as pie. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good advice, but as we've already learned, he doesn't listen very well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

rear hp + rear lp = bandpass.
tweets - hp

mids - bandpass

sub - lp

detailed and cleaner would just basically depend on the speakers. nothing really to do with active crossovers.
well can i ask why your running active?

have you heard a car that's running and active setup? You should really talk to this guy:http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/51708-500-hp-bmw-m3-goes-hybrid-audio.html

actually heard mlstrass's setup, he is running active and it sounds so much warmer and natural.

on an online forum, you get to pick and choose which retard's advice to take. in person, you're stuck with one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
who's teh retard?

Whelp, if you ask a tard like me, I'd never recommend an active setup I've never actually used. Eh, Mr RSX? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
I'd say "practice" on your current drivers by replicating the passive xover points on your HU, first. Then move them up/down and listen to what that does. Then adjust the slope and listen to what that does. Then T/A your mids (w/out the tweets playing) and listen. Then the tweeters alone....listen. Then both together...yes, still listening. Then everything all at once....all the while, yes you got it, listening. Of course, before all of this, you'd want to level match the L and R sides of the car on your preamp voltage desensitizer rotatory knob adjuster thing with your DMM. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Easy as pie. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. From what i heard the slope should always be at its highest point. Reason why i want to try different mids is because i would hate to blow these dls mids up, and not being able to find a replacement. and those peerless mids are under $35 each, so if they mess up its easily replaced.

Also i like to try new things, and experiment. In car audio, you are never satisifed!

also never called you a tard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good advice, but as we've already learned, he doesn't listen very well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
just because i dont listen to you when it comes to deadener, does not mean i am not going to take other advice. i am here to learn, and just because we disagree on deadener, does not mean that i am not open to opinions, especially a topic like this seeing you are running active.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.