Running 75% power to sub, bad idea?

Participant count
  • Participant list

evil_lies

Texas
I have an old MTX sub that is rated at 250 watts @ 8ohms. I figure I need 500 watts @ 4ohms to make it work. What happens if I run an amp that is rated at 380 @ 4ohms? Will the sub just not be as loud as it could be? I assume that's the case, but want to verify before I bought anything. Would it be noticeable in daily use?

Running less power then rated will NOT hurt anything. If u have to little

Of amp and over work the amp and send out a dirty signal that will clip the woofer to death. Just watch YouTube video on how to set up an amplifier properly and you should be fine.

I have an old MTX sub that is rated at 250 watts @ 8ohms. I figure I need 500 watts @ 4ohms to make it work. What happens if I run an amp that is rated at 380 @ 4ohms? Will the sub just not be as loud as it could be? I assume that's the case, but want to verify before I bought anything. Would it be noticeable in daily use?
It is unlikely that you could hear the difference between 380 and 500W.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would make a lot of difference. I just got rid of my Wrangler and now that I have a vehicle I can actually lock and not worry about theft as much I want to add that bump I've been missing!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.