Running 3 amps, Remote Wire..

Rc 415
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm going to be running 3 amps shortly, and I'd like to know if I'd be alright running 3 remote turn on wires from the deck? I'd also like to know if its ok if I just run 1 pair of rca's back to the amps and then plugging it into 1 amp and using the rca outputs on that amp to run another short set of rca's to the other amp and then doing the same thing again for the third amp?

Remote turn-on lead:

When you're looking at running more than 2 accessories from the HU's remote activation output you can potentially be looking at trouble. The amount of voltage present in that particular output for most head units is measured in milliamps. If you're going to ask that circuit to activate three or more items then your best best would be to get a simple Single Pole, Single Throw 30amp relay (available for around $5 or so pretty much anywhere that sells electronic components...Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, any auto parts store will have them, etc)

Use the head unit to activate the relay and then have the relay serve remote turn-on duties. This will prevent overloading and burning up the remote output on your HU ($5 is cheap insurance IMO to keep from damaging your deck)

Daisy-chaining RCAs:

You technically can do what you've proposed but it can possibly be problematic as well. Do any of those three amps have any sort of processing on their RCA outputs at all? If so is that processing defeatable? If it isn't the signal being output from those particular connections may or may not be appropriate for the next amp in line depending on its intended usage.

Additionally going this route will completely eliminate any possibility of having any usable fadar function as you'd be feeding all three amps from a single output from the HU so whatever output you use (front, rear, whatever) is the ONLY signal those amps will be able to use.

Just my $0.02

Remote turn-on lead:When you're looking at running more than 2 accessories from the HU's remote activation output you can potentially be looking at trouble. The amount of voltage present in that particular output for most head units is measured in milliamps. If you're going to ask that circuit to activate three or more items then your best best would be to get a simple Single Pole, Single Throw 30amp relay (available for around $5 or so pretty much anywhere that sells electronic components...Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, any auto parts store will have them, etc)

Use the head unit to activate the relay and then have the relay serve remote turn-on duties. This will prevent overloading and burning up the remote output on your HU ($5 is cheap insurance IMO to keep from damaging your deck)
So, I buy one of these:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400012+310768&autoview=sku

Then how do I wire it up? and do I connect it to the remote wire coming from the deck and then have 3 wires coming off the other side? How close does it have to be to the radio?

Sounds good, do I have to have somthing to cover the poles coming out, I noticed I have some under the hood in the fuse box and they plug in.

SO a no no for 2 amp turn on leads from one HU? I KNOW my sub amp's RCA outputs have the EXACT same signal without processing from the HU. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

85 - Remote Wire from Deck86 - Ground

30 - 12volts

87a - empty

87 - outputs to amps
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Sounds good, do I have to have somthing to cover the poles coming out, I noticed I have some under the hood in the fuse box and they plug in.
No - so long as you use insulated terminals on the wires that you attach to the terminals on the relay and there's no chance of any metal-to-metal contact you'll be fine. I'm meaning a wire terminal such as this.
Btw, for the 30-12 volts am I supposed to wire a line from the battery?
See what I've quoted above from Worlddre's post in this thread. You'll attach wires to 4 of the 5 terminals found on your average 12v, 30a SPST relay. One of those will be a power feed coming from the battery. The second will be a ground. The third will be your trigger input (the input from the remote accessory activation output from the HU). The fourth will be your output which will feed the remote turn-on input on your three amplifiers.

SO a no no for 2 amp turn on leads from one HU? I KNOW my sub amp's RCA outputs have the EXACT same signal without processing from the HU. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Usually two things being activated by the HU is okay but no more than two. Three or more you'll want to use a relay as I've suggested to the OP. In my personal setup I have five things being activated by my HU: 2 amps and 3 neon lightbars. I incorporated a relay into the wiring path and have had zero problems.As far as the RCA outputs on any given amp not being affected by processing from the HU that's impossible. If there is any processing done by the HU the signal being passed to the amplifier(s) has already been processed before ever being received by the amp(s) to be amplified. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Usually two things being activated by the HU is okay but no more than two. Three or more you'll want to use a relay as I've suggested to the OP. In my personal setup I have five things being activated by my HU: 2 amps and 3 neon lightbars. I incorporated a relay into the wiring path and have had zero problems.

As far as the RCA outputs on any given amp not being affected by processing from the HU that's impossible. If there is any processing done by the HU the signal being passed to the amplifier(s) has already been processed before ever being received by the amp(s) to be amplified. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

MY bad, I meant no processing from the AMP [from sfirst to second amp], as in it isnt affected by the amp settings [gain, sub sonic, Bass boost]

SO it is okay to run two amps without relay then? More than two, use relay?
That's the general rule of thumb I go by, yes.
MY bad, I meant no processing from the AMP [from sfirst to second amp], as in it isnt affected by the amp settings [gain, sub sonic, Bass boost]
K //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not all amps are that way, however. Some amps' RCA outputs are affected by the amp in question's internal processing so anyone planning on daisy-chaining their interconnects that way needs to make certain which variety they have before proceeding.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.