Rookie Question: Paper or Rubber Cones!?

absolutely nothing wrong with paper cones...

their mass, rigidity, and cheapness make them excellent choices for transducer cones..

and rubber cones do not exist.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Loyd L.

Yeah, i mean, the kickers will way outperform Audiobahns, Audiobahns are basically like ricewagons , the look good, but they dont perform good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

paper cones are still used today, but treated. Like the Vifa PL-series speakers and other tranducers. I think they have the most natural sounding to them, then again, there are lots of things that affects the sound.

good thing is that well made paper cones will last just as long as other types of cones and it'll cost less to produce than say aluminum cones, which in turns cost less for the consumer. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wow, so you'd take the 400 RMS over the 700 RMS? I'm just looking for durability, here. That's it. Would it help it I gave you the box dimensions?

1.25cf Dual 3/4" MDF Hatch-style box for 12" subs.

Its not always about watts handling its about what you can do with the watts!! Do you wanna BURP SPL or have a great sounding sub??? A sub with not alot of juice going to it can sound really nice in a vehicle!

Plus I think you can get acomp vr 15 for less than 160 without much of a problem. And I personaly woulk take the VR, they present a fair SQL mix. Most the people on here badmouth audiobahn but most of them don't even know what soundquality is so...ignore that. I've done a number of audiobahn installs and while they don't have great SQ by any stretch, they are great beginner drivers. If you have a taste for SPL and don't mind the lack of purity, they are a great place to begin. They do take a fair amount of power but watch their top end...you'll get burned if you try to push them beyond their rated limits.

I must say my dd doesnt sound any better than a lot of audiobahns I've installed...just gets a **** load louder. But then again I paid $430 for one.

As for the paper vs rubber (hehe) question...listen to loyd. I generally trust his judgement. The one concern that people have about paper cones is in moist conditions they can loose their rigidablity...but thats generally a case with low price untreated cones.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.