1965 Corvette New Audio System Wiring Help (Rookie)

Participant count
  • Participants list

ike2010

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Greetings everyone. I currently have a "system" in my 1965 Corvette, but I'm looking to add some components. Forewarning, I am not an expert in car audio, and I don't need a pro setup in this car - just something that works. I do not have a head unit in my car. My current setup is basically an amp and two 6.5's. I have a 12v to 5v converter that is wired directly into the power and ground hookups on the amp. The 5v end of that feeds a usb powered bluetooth receiver. I play audio from my phone to the bluethooth receiver which is then connected to the amp via R/L RCA outputs. I have a blue remote line feeding the amp from the ignition key cylinder that turns on the amp when the car is running. Everything works in the current setup. See image below - current setup on top, proposed setup on bottom.

My new system will add two subs, an amp for the subs, and an EQ between the bluetooth receiver and the amps.

My questions are:

1. Can I just wire the + and - terminals of the EQ directly to the + and - terminals on one of the amps to get it power?
2. Are there any recommendations around the bluetooth part of this system? It works now, but maybe there is a better option? I don't have a head unit in the car (original AM radio that isn't being removed).
3. Are there any parts available that will make the wiring splitting, distribution easier? For example, a junction box for the remote line from the key that will split it three ways for each amp and the EQ? Any ideas around that is appreciated.

I would suggest getting it installed by a professional. You don't want to take a chance on a beauty like that. Try not and cut any metal. What are some details of the system? A set of 6-½" components up front and two 8" subs in the rear should be plenty.

1. Can I just wire the + and - terminals of the EQ directly to the + and - terminals on one of the amps to get it power?
2. Are there any recommendations around the bluetooth part of this system? It works now, but maybe there is a better option? I don't have a head unit in the car (original AM radio that isn't being removed).
3. Are there any parts available that will make the wiring splitting, distribution easier? For example, a junction box for the remote line from the key that will split it three ways for each amp and the EQ? Any ideas around that is appreciated.
1. Sure, it would function but it would look a little half arsed. Ideally you would use a distro block and run separate wires to each amp or processing unit. This will keep things neat and clean and help you avoid mixing things up.
2. The issue I have with bluetooth and controlling from a phone or mp3 player is that it's not terribly user friendly in being able to turn the volume up or down, select tracks or radio channels, and similar by touch/feel. A proper head units with buttons or remote control will allow you to control your tunes without taking your eye off of driving once you get a muscle memory for where the controls are. You could consider buying a proper head unit with a remote and building either a small console to sit below the dash or build it into the glove box. I've seen both of these done well in classic cars, you can get creative with how you secure them in place without modifying or screwing into or whatever any precious factory original panels or anything. Also I believe at least one company has a head unit where the body/guts mounts somewhere and the screen mounts wherever you need. You could probably find something like that, mount the body under a seat or tuck it into the glove box and put the display/control bit on a simple bracket where a head unit ought to go.
Crutchfield is one of the oldest retailers in the industry since pre-internet and they were a mail order catalog. If you're interested to see options give them a call. Pop open a web browser, give them a call, and they can give you some ideas of modern solutions to anything you're trying to do. They're not the cheapest online store but their customer service is top notch and the people who answer the phone really know their stuff and you wouldn't have to worry about easy return/exchange/warranty if something doesn't work out.
3. Also ask crutchfield. They should have a variety of distro blocks. For what you're doing you shouldn't need anything terribly fancy or more complex than commonly available distribution solutions. rem wire can be just daisy chained from one amp/accessory terminal to the next, if that doesn't look neat enough for you based on where you're mounting everything you can run separate wires back from your source unit, fuse box, or wherever you're getting the signal from. Solder and heat shrink tape or even crimp connectors will be adequate, rem cable carries a very tiny current so you don't need anything fancy, though I'd encourage anybody to use a somewhat sturdy wire with good insulation because a vehicle environment can be a little rough and you don't want something too flimsy that'll fail from just throwing some cargo on top of wherever that wire runs or something.

Do pop back and let us know what you wind up doing, sound systems in classic cars is a topic that comes up now and again here so may as well leave any information you can share for the next bloke that comes along asking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...