Rockford Punch 800.2/MTX Thunder 6000 10's

Participant count
  • Participant list

echz

I just picked up the Rockford Punch 800.2 and 2 10" MTX Thunder 6000's. The subs are 4 ohm and do 250 rms/500 peak i believe, and they are wired directly from the amp, so they should be being pushed at 200x2 if I'm thinking correctly. I don't know what's going on with them however, unless they are blown -- They seem to break up and not hit cleanly...They are in a sealed box, in a Ford Probe (hatchback). I'm using a Sony XPlod L-Cube series headunit that does 52x4 and has a separate sub out. I have the crossover on the amp set at ~60, and it's on Low Pass....I've played with the gains and tried everything i can think of, but to no avail. Can someone offer any insight to where my problem may be? Am I overamping these speakers? I don't believe that the system should be sounding as bad as it does...Any help is appreciated! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I guess you'd say they were wired in series -- L+/L- to left, R+/R- to right. I didn't mess around with briding they or anything yet, as the amp's manual said it'd put out 2x200 at 4 ohms, and 2x400 at 2 ohms....I'm still hearing the breakup though.

sounds like you have the subs wired correctly. the specs you gave sound like you should not have a problem with overpowering the subs with that amp. i would suggest turning the gain all the way down and listening to the subs with the HU volume at a moderate level (if there is a bass boost knob, turn that down too) to see if you hear any distortion as you SLOWLY increase the gain level - don't over adjust - just a little at a time.

if you cannot solve your problem either have the store you bought it from listen to it or test a friends subs with your amp and your subs with their amp to determine where the problem lies.

i played with the gains and it just isn't sounding tight enough. could it possibly be because i have only 6 screws in instead of 8 holding the speakers down? it's almost like a flutter sound i'm hearing when the bass hits...could it possibly be a problem with the box itself? i'm pretty sure i can earth these speakers with this amp....but it's just not going that well for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Maybe I'm just expecting more and not getting it?

dude... you need ALL the screws!!!!!

think about it, it's called a "sealed box" for a reason. it should be air tight!!!!!

tighten all screws and try it and you should hear a big difference without any air leaking out (and bass too).

it also sounds like to me that you may have reversed the + or - in the wiring inside the box. bc if one of the speakers is reversed it messes with the phase of the speakers and can make them sound like crap. try disconnecting one of the speakers and just listen to one and if it sounds fine hook the other one back up and if the sound then changes back to being bad then you have found your problem. then you can take out the subs and find which one was reversed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.