Right side component makes noise, not a good noise.

Participant count
  • Participant list

mk_
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tempe, AZ
Hey,

Heres one for you guys. Re-did some of my wiring and set the gain on my sub amp as well as component amp. All should be good, one would think.

My component amp is a 4 channel JBL Px300.4, love it so far. I had an RCA break off inside the rear rca input. So while re-wiring this I figured i'd take the amp out and fix it. I drilled into the broken off piece, threaded a small screw in and pulled it out. It wasn't pretty but it worked good. I feel it was necessary to mention this as could be part of the problem (? keep reading).

Now when I hooked everything back up I wanted to check the front channel and rear channel (bridged to two channels) to make sure no damage was done. The left side sounds great so I unplugged that side and plugged in the right side. As soon as I connect the + and - for the right side, there is a small spark and loud distortion type noise coming from that side of the component set. You can't hear any music playing its just garbage noise. It reminds me as if I am plugging a speaker into the wall. Needless to say, as soon as I saw the spark and heard the noise I disconnected the speakers immediately. Hooked them up to the other channel, and same story.

So basically, with the left side connected, everything is fine. When I try the right side, loud distortion. It doesn't matter the volume of the HU, the noise is still loud even if at 1 or 2 volume level.

I'm thinking im gonna have to trace wires back to the passive xover and see if i can find anything. Weird thing is I really hadn't done anything on that side of the vehicle regarding component wires or any wires for that matter.

I've ruled out f'ed up RCA because of the work I did, bc there is no problem what so ever with the left side. You'd figure if there was a problem both sides would be affected, right?

Equipment:

Pioneer P8MP

MB Quart QSC216 components

JBL Px300.4

Also, bc of the broken RCA (I was using two runs of RCAs, one pair for front channel and one pair for rear channel) I have completely disconnected the broken pair from both the amp and HU. So I'm stuck with only one pair of RCAs which I have on the front outputs from HU and have alternated from the Front and Rear channels on the amp. Either or... I still get the same noise. Also I should be getting an RCA Y splitter from knukonceptz tomorrow.

I'm probably missing something real easy here. If you got any suggestions please let me know... Long thread helped me thaw out a little bit... back to the outside!

Thanks for reading.

Michael

i didn't read to whole thing, but dude if its a pioneer head unit check the sticky about groudning out the rear rca's.. i had ALL kinds of noise, alternator noise, speaker pops, high pitch oh god you name it i had it and it was bad, i did the ground rear rca thing, i feel like i have a new headunit. If you dont have a pioneer, im a jack ass:)

I do have a pioneer HU.

Never had this problem before and have used this HU for about 1.5 yrs. Will definitely check out what you mentioned, as it can't hurt.

Thanks for the response. anyone else?

Michael

FWIW I used to have an old school mtx amp that the hard ground on the RCA inputs broke, and it would play a loud (LOUD ) humming noise regardless of the radio volume. I took it to the local repair shop, it took him 10 minutes and cost me 10 bucks to have him solder a soft ground on the RCA terminals, and the amp worked absolutely perfectly after that; never had another problem with it. it sounds like something stupid and simple like that to me

Hey,
Heres one for you guys. Re-did some of my wiring and set the gain on my sub amp as well as component amp. All should be good, one would think.

My component amp is a 4 channel JBL Px300.4, love it so far. I had an RCA break off inside the rear rca input. So while re-wiring this I figured i'd take the amp out and fix it. I drilled into the broken off piece, threaded a small screw in and pulled it out. It wasn't pretty but it worked good. I feel it was necessary to mention this as could be part of the problem (? keep reading).

Now when I hooked everything back up I wanted to check the front channel and rear channel (bridged to two channels) to make sure no damage was done. The left side sounds great so I unplugged that side and plugged in the right side. As soon as I connect the + and - for the right side, there is a small spark and loud distortion type noise coming from that side of the component set. You can't hear any music playing its just garbage noise. It reminds me as if I am plugging a speaker into the wall. Needless to say, as soon as I saw the spark and heard the noise I disconnected the speakers immediately. Hooked them up to the other channel, and same story.

So basically, with the left side connected, everything is fine. When I try the right side, loud distortion. It doesn't matter the volume of the HU, the noise is still loud even if at 1 or 2 volume level.

I'm thinking im gonna have to trace wires back to the passive xover and see if i can find anything. Weird thing is I really hadn't done anything on that side of the vehicle regarding component wires or any wires for that matter.

I've ruled out f'ed up RCA because of the work I did, bc there is no problem what so ever with the left side. You'd figure if there was a problem both sides would be affected, right?

Equipment:

Pioneer P8MP

MB Quart QSC216 components

JBL Px300.4

Also, bc of the broken RCA (I was using two runs of RCAs, one pair for front channel and one pair for rear channel) I have completely disconnected the broken pair from both the amp and HU. So I'm stuck with only one pair of RCAs which I have on the front outputs from HU and have alternated from the Front and Rear channels on the amp. Either or... I still get the same noise. Also I should be getting an RCA Y splitter from knukonceptz tomorrow.

I'm probably missing something real easy here. If you got any suggestions please let me know... Long thread helped me thaw out a little bit... back to the outside!

Thanks for reading.

Michael

The pioneer noise thing has been beat to death! ignore the hu.

Sounds like you broke the ground on the amp rca? If you plug in all 4 rca's is the noise still there?

It's easy enough to open the amp a re melt the solder joints for the rca:)

Thanks guys.

Crossfired: I suppose that certainly could be the problem. As I said, since I broke the one pair of RCA's, I cannot currently test with both front and rear RCA inputs. I'm waiting on the y adapter to come in from knukonceptz. I will be able to give you a better conclusion after they arrive, and I get to test some things out. I'm expecting it tomorrow, but get out of school really late and going out right after, then of course I have to work open to close on friday, but will be able to put some time in afterwards.

I will update the situation Friday night hopefully and Saturday at the latest.

Thanks again for your time fellas.

Michael

Well sirs,

I think I have finally found the problem. Currently, I have my passenger seat out of the car. I have all my rca's and right side speaker wires run under the passenger seat carpet. I goto school for automotive technology and today when it started happening again, I sat and thought for a second. It was fine 3 hours ago, I start the car now and it sounds like a bomb going off in my car, woofers going nuts, speakers clipped to hell. Well after thinking what I had changed it hit me. Without the passenger seat in, I carry around a huge toolbox which i literally drop right on all those wires previously mentioned. So, I took everything out and ****ed around with the wires as much as i could (they are under the rug). Boom.... no obnoxious noises.

I must have been pinching a whole helluva lot of wires when i toss my toolbox around in my car, causing my misery. So no its not my amp, no its not my HU, its me dropping a toolbox on my precious and cleverly placed wires.

NOW thats a lot of stuff off my mind, this was literally driving me nuts and I'm blaming all my equipment when it was actually me (When isn't it me? is the real question //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)

So there you have it, thanks for your responses and ideas.

Michael

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.