Ribbon Tweeters worth saving?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Daedalus

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I am getting ready to put a full new system into my car. I have the speakers picked out, but the one part of the old system I actually really like are these old Panasonic ribbon tweeters.

Though due to them being Japanese and old I can't find any specs to compare them to what's going in.

The system going in will have a full set of Focal Flax Evo speakers.

PS 165 FE (Front doors)
PC 165 FE (Rear Doors)
X2 - P 25 FE (X2 Ported boxes in cargo area)

No doubt the TAM tweeters that come with the PS 165 FE kit are good. I am mostly curious if there are any good reasons to find a way to keep the ribbons running in the new system.

If you have a tailor made component set, particularly from a reputable company like Focal, it is unlikely that they will need anything else to give good sound. Adding an additional set of tweeters may or may not sound good to you and you'll certainly want additional amp channels and crossover to blend them in to anything.

I wouldn't throw those away though. Ribbon mids/tweets can sound really good if you can get them on-axis, so you may well find a home for them down the road.

Yeah, I haven't settled on power delivery yet. but the general plan is to run a 6 channel amp for the doors and tweeters, 4 to the doors and 2 to the tweeters. A 2 channel for the subs, and run it all through a DSP.

But my issue of the moment is do I run the tweeter channels to the ribbons and feed the Tams through the supplied cross over in the door. Or do I remove the ribbons and just give the Tams their own dedicated channels.

Guess it'll come down to just testing the system in car with both configurations and see what happens.

P.S I never throw **** that works away, My storage locker, closet and corner nook full of parts is a testament to that.

Why a two channel for the subwoofers? Most people go mono-block and they come with dual hookups for that not too mention the power difference. Most likely you will be wiring for 1 ohm or 2 ohm so just wire them in the box and have one set of speaker wires to one terminal with the wires inside going to that terminal much easier and cleaner looking.

Why a two channel for the subwoofers? Most people go mono-block and they come with dual hookups for that not too mention the power difference. Most likely you will be wiring for 1 ohm or 2 ohm so just wire them in the box and have one set of speaker wires to one terminal with the wires inside going to that terminal much easier and cleaner looking.

The subs are not together, there will be a sub box in a fender nook on each side of the car facing in toward each other. (one on each of the panels that CD changer is bolted to)

Might do a mono block with dual hook up, as mentioned the power delivery is not finalized yet.

photo_2021-01-26_06-14-52.jpg

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...