Review on the Pioneer Premier TSD-720c's.

bigbangtheory
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
I tried to get out of audio and just play stock, but nope! Not a happening! Shouldn't have sold my other ****, but oh well, I will get better stuff, just will take longer that I would want. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif So far I just installed these in my well deadened doors...........well, I guess they can be better. Still have to add the roof flashing and deaden over that and maybe some speaker baffles, but have to say these are the best thing I have heard in a long time. Would put these way up on your list if you are looking for a quailty componet set that won't break the bank. I ended up getting them for 120 smacks, which isn't much more than the RSDs and add the factor in I had the RSDs before these and at first I liked them, but overtime they just seem to fade away......quickly! Given I never had them installed in deadened doors, but my friend has them in his accord with more power than me and deadened to hell and back with some Cascade deadener and I wasn't impressed. Kinda why I never deadened my car when I was running them.

Anyway onto the Componets, which are the 6 3/4" set with a 1 1/8"soft dome tweet (Is a big tweet, no?) After I got these on, I bridged my amp to see maybe tops 80rms and these call for 60 per side. Well it sounded awesome! Only problem was they would cut out when you would either turn the volume up to quick or played a song to long while up. Protection light didn't go on with my amp, so must have been the crossover? I don't know, but didn't want to push them, so took it back down to 50rms X4 coming from a Clarion amp. (Yep, I have rear stockers right now, but have some new Pioneer TSD 6x8's coming) Was just going to use the deck for the backs, but have no sub right now and I wanted the adjustability of my deck, which is pretty basic in a new Kenwood Excleon x-492. (Which is a nice simple deck by the way and I am coming from an 880, lol! I love it and hated that deck due to the over amount of adjustability, which I hardly needed.).......anyway, these componets sound fantastic! I haven't had a set in a long time that sounded this good. I am hearing stuff I haven't heard in ages! Mid to me so far is the focal point. Good mid bass, but the vocals are what get me with this set, so clear! No harsh upper range, just smooth......not to steal a phrase from Tc, but smooth like butter! The tweet is nice and mellow, not harsh at all, very nice. Will take time to get use to it, but already like it much more than my Rsd's tweeter, which seemed like the focal point in that set. Only downfall is they are huge! Wanted to do A-Pillar, but to time consuming and really would look odd there with these being so big.

I have only had a day of testing with them and maybe 3 hours, and I have read they sound better with time, which is amazing in itself....I have to mess around a little more with the settings and getting use to this new deck as I haven't played around with that much, but if you are looking for a nice set for around 100-140 dollars depending where you go (internet buying, they are much more at big box stores......duh, lol!), then these would be a nice purchase. I love mine so far and I haven't been able to get my system dialed in right in a long time and I am just running these componet sets and soone to be some 6x8's off 50x4rms and couldn't be happier! I really need to find a sub that will blend in well with these. Thinking in a couple months I will check into those Mags from SI.

Also I have some pics I will be posting up later this afternoon. I am at work and didn't have time to upload them last night. I had to also install a deck in wifes ride and doing my car and hers just burnt me out, lol!

Thanks for looking and I know, I write a lot and probably is a terrible review as I **** at reviews, but whatevea!

Surprised nobody said anything. Here are some pics anyway.

Guess I have to be Tcguy to get some respones.

P1010279.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010303-1.jpg

P1010293.jpg

P1010307.jpg

P1010304.jpg

P1010309.jpg

P1010287.jpg

Random pic of my little helper!

100_1497.jpg

Glad to hear you like them. I have the regular Pioneer (TS-D1720C) set here, just waiting fo my new amp to install them.

I'm also going to be using a 50x4 amp to power them. So does 50 watts a side sound good with them? Do you have your tweets at 0 or -3 on the crossovers?

Surprised nobody said anything. Here are some pics anyway.
Guess I have to be Tcguy to get some respones.
i'm not THAT popular here in the speaker forumz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

glad ya like the Pioneers man. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lmao at the TC Guy crack....

Very nice review, I was seriously considering the Pioneers for the last few weeks, and I figured they would match up well with my Orion 4002 (100x2 a 4ohm) but I decided to go a different route with the ID Oems/Blaupunkt VC100s.

Thats the kind of review I can really apperciate, just being honest on how you feel about the speakers and how they sound to you. Mine wont be much better lol, but its cool.

Thanks for it.

Thanks guys for finally getting some respones. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

To answer some questions, Hintzy I believe the crossover is a little different and may take more RMS IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

Guy asking about is 50rms good, yes it is. When I bridged my amp they were seeing around 80rms and they sounded even better, but they would cut out if I turned the deck up to quick or had a song on too long. So when I cut it back, they worked perfect and has been a couple days and even sound better. To give you an example, had a friend listen to it yesterday and he has some decent highs, I believe Infinity Kappa componets off 100rms each and a couple 10's off 1000rms and he had to cover his ears as he couldn't take how loud they where, but was funny as they stay crystal clear! He got out asking me where I got them and how much as it was the best set he ever heard and he has been around caraudio for awhile now.

Tez, wasn't trying to make a crack at Tc persay, but it does seem he swayed a lot of people to the Rsd's, hell his review sold me on the set, lol! So trying to push these as they are a much better set IMO, but feel for a few more bucks, you would be even happier. I compare these to higher end componets thus far. Also you have a kick ass set with those mids and tweets, so you are golden!

Also wanted to say, I hooked up my iPod yesterday and for some reason it sounds as good as my CD's do. I actually think I get more volume in the iPod to be honest. It amazes me! Going to transfer most of my CD's on it now. Love this new Kenwood deck I got as well. Believe it or not, I enjoy the simplicity of the deck as I was coming to an over load of customization in the 880, lol!

Also surprised nobody said I did a shitty job deadening the drivers door, lol! Passenger side came up much better thanks to my 12 year old step daughter. She is like 70 pounds and can get in most places I couldn't.

She is going to deaden my back doors now, haha!

Tez, wasn't trying to make a crack at Tc persay, but it does seem he swayed a lot of people to the Rsd's, hell his review sold me on the set, lol! So trying to push these as they are a much better set IMO, but feel for a few more bucks, you would be even happier. I compare these to higher end componets thus far. Also you have a kick ass set with those mids and tweets, so you are golden!
nice. i really liked the RSD's at first, then got annoyed at the sorta harsh mid-range from the mids, then went active and cleared most if it up. i then started to get annoyed again by what harshness was still left. certain stuff sounded amazing on them, and then certain stuff i just couldn't stand to listen to and it pissed me off. so i decided to try something new that had also gotten rave reviews by numerous people who really knew what they were talking about. and the difference was pretty huge. so i guess you'd call it lack of experience in a way. i'd still say the rsd's would satisfy a lot of people but i grew out of them and moved on. well at least moved on from the mids, i'm still using the tweeters from the set and i enjoy them.

this pioneer set may be better, but i haven't heard a set so i cannot and will not comment.

thats exactly the problem, audio is soooo subjective. everybody just pretty much has to listen for themselves.

nice. i really liked the RSD's at first, then got annoyed at the sorta harsh mid-range from the mids, then went active and cleared most if it up. i then started to get annoyed again by what harshness was still left. certain stuff sounded amazing on them, and then certain stuff i just couldn't stand to listen to and it pissed me off. so i decided to try something new that had also gotten rave reviews by numerous people who really knew what they were talking about. and the difference was pretty huge. so i guess you'd call it lack of experience in a way. i'd still say the rsd's would satisfy a lot of people but i grew out of them and moved on. well at least moved on from the mids, i'm still using the tweeters from the set and i enjoy them.
this pioneer set may be better, but i haven't heard a set so i cannot and will not comment.

thats exactly the problem, audio is soooo subjective. everybody just pretty much has to listen for themselves.

This is true, you have to listen for yourself.....usually. Problem is, a lot of people take other peoples reviews to heart and like my god, these have to be good! I have fallen for it a couple of times. And not to say your review of the Rsds swayed me 100%, it was everyone else who seemed to like them as well. Don't know if most of them owned a set or just jumped the band wagon, but overall I wasn't impressed. Was wierd because usually when you first listen to a componet set or a sub, they sound better after time. The RSD's did the exact opposite for me. Seems like they had the harshness you talked about and honestly couldn't get my tweeter dialed in right. It was the focal point of the set though. Honestly though I paid 75 bucks for them, so I got my use out of them and hopefully the guy I sold them too is enjoying them.

IMO being I have had both sets now, it isn't even fair to compare the two sets in the RSD's and the 720c's. One wins hands down and I am not saying that because I am running these right now or trying to plug them so everyone else can be like OMG, I need to get a set. I am just happy to enjoy my music again!

Have these comps in my girlfriends car .. 65 rms per side and they sound amazing . Some of the best comps for the money in my opinion . Replaced a set of cdt cl61a pros with the Pioneers and the Pioneers blew the CDTs out of the water in almost every aspect . I was so suprised with them I made a thread awhile back about them .

Have these comps in my girlfriends car .. 65 rms per side and they sound amazing . Some of the best comps for the money in my opinion . Replaced a set of cdt cl61a pros with the Pioneers and the Pioneers blew the CDTs out of the water in almost every aspect . I was so suprised with them I made a thread awhile back about them .
Yes sir, they sound very good! I remember awhile about you putting these in your girlfriends ride and raving about them.

I have many componets since I started running them a good 10 plus years ago and they stack up very well against other higher end componets. Makes me wonder really how much better the PRS line is and if it warrents enough for the higer price.

I am completely satisfied with them thus far. I still miss my sub setup and one day will get something to complement these componets.

Ya, Pioneer is making some real nice stuff for little cost. I really enjoy me prs720's. They sound better than my Boston pro's althoe they dont play as loud as the boston's but play loud enough for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.