Reusing factory speaker wiring...

scoob8000
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I know this is a tired matter (searched), but I'm finally thinking about adding a 4 channel amp to power my speakers (Infinity Kappa's in the factory locations 4x6 in the doors, and 6x9's in the rear deck).

For the fronts, I'd like to run the wire from the trunk to behind the head deck and tie into the factory speaker wires.

Did a quick search and it seems very split, some folks say it's fine, others say it'll be nothing but crap.

I would imagine the biggest obstacle to overcome is the long run all the way from the trunk to behind the dash. Any issues with noise here (besides not running beside power wires?)

Input to sway me one way or the other?

Im using factory wiring for mine. Im using an LOC since my car uses a ford factory amp.

My factory speaker wiring is something along the lines of 18-20 guage. I was limited to 16 guage wire for splicing as that was the biggest wire I could get to splice with the factory wiring. Everything else was far too loose or didnt work at all.

Im feeding my speakers 60RMS at 2 ohms and it works and sounds just fine.

I have Knu RCA's then from my amp to my crossovers is 14awg and then I used the wire that came with the component set (maybe 16-18awg?)

For my subs I used 14awg and each sub gets a 14awg run right off my sundown 1000d

Also my factory wiring looked ok but IMO Id rather do it right once then do it again, I have a **** ton of hours invested into my car to half ass it lol

I have Knu RCA's then from my amp to my crossovers is 14awg and then I used the wire that came with the component set (maybe 16-18awg?)
For my subs I used 14awg and each sub gets a 14awg run right off my sundown 1000d

Also my factory wiring looked ok but IMO Id rather do it right once then do it again, I have a **** ton of hours invested into my car to half ass it lol
Knu's stuff kicks ass.

I'm going with the Krystal RCA's and Karma SS wire from the trunk to behind the dash.

I've used the Karma SS before, it's beefy, looks good, and twisted pair should help cut down on and interference..

Just ran new wires from the future amp position to the front doors, no issues, and didn't take to long. No I know whats hooked up where, and that it will stand up.

I know this is a tired matter (searched), but I'm finally thinking about adding a 4 channel amp to power my speakers (Infinity Kappa's in the factory locations 4x6 in the doors, and 6x9's in the rear deck).
For the fronts, I'd like to run the wire from the trunk to behind the head deck and tie into the factory speaker wires.

Did a quick search and it seems very split, some folks say it's fine, others say it'll be nothing but crap.

I would imagine the biggest obstacle to overcome is the long run all the way from the trunk to behind the dash. Any issues with noise here (besides not running beside power wires?)

Input to sway me one way or the other?
Get you some of this if you are set on doing it that way.......

100-0038_IMG.JPG

Oh and useing the stock wire is fine.. I've done it in many cars without any problems or issues.. Plan on doing the same to my personal truck soon as I get some good wire...

Hahahahhahahhahahaha.

Seriously, Lol. You guys.

If you're using a head units power, I guess stock wiring makes sense... but feeding 50W+ RMS from an actual amp through factory wiring? WTF for? It's not that much more work to run the wire, and who can't afford 50ft of 14ga? I'll pay the extra $25 and put in the extra hour to get that last bit of dynamic range out of my components, which play some 80% of the music anyway.

Cmon guys. Don't build systems/make decisions you'd be embarassed to tell your local car audio shops/installation gurus about.

Hahahahhahahhahahaha.
Seriously, Lol. You guys.

If you're using a head units power, I guess stock wiring makes sense... but feeding 50W+ RMS from an actual amp through factory wiring? WTF for? It's not that much more work to run the wire, and who can't afford 50ft of 14ga?

Cmon guys. Don't build systems/make decisions you'd be embarassed to tell your local car audio shops about. That's a personal rule that I follow, and it hasn't let me down.
So you are saying that he can't feed power through the stock wiring? Don't listen to this guy. It can be done. Find that wire I showed you and tap the factory wires and run that to the amp. It is easier to rewire the doors, but if you are not comfortable with your skill level go with what you asked about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.