Requesting help with future upgrades

Participant count
  • Participant list

Maky

Senior VIP Member
Bombay
Hello

I've been, over the past couple of months, slowly been upgrading my car audio one at a time. My last purchases were a JBL monoblock and a Morel Ultimo SC. For February I will be upgrading my Sony HU to the Pioneer DEH-80PRS either today or tomorrow and my next upgrade will be possibly be speakers and later maybe an amplifier. I was hoping to get opinions on the following speaker and amplifiers please : ):

Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C132PRS - TS-C132PRS - Stage 4 Reference Series 5-1/4" Component Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USA

Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C172PRS - TS-C172PRS - Stage 4 Reference Series 6-3/4" Component Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USA

Pioneer PRS-A900 - PRS-A900 - Stage 4 Reference Quality 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier with Filterless Design | Pioneer Electronics USA

Pioneer GM-D8604 - GM-D8604 - Class FD 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier | Pioneer Electronics USA

The prices seem to be completely inflated on their official page but I understand these are significantly cheaper than listed there as. I also welcome alternate recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Those are all overpriced. Why don't you look into other brands for speakers? Morel, Dynaudio, Rainbow, Hertz, JBL, etc.. What's your budget on speakers? Once you determine what speakers you want, then decide the amp. There's plenty of 4 channels available in the market that is adequate for the job. You don't have to spend a fortune for amplification. What size is your factory speaker cutout?

Those are all overpriced. Why don't you look into other brands for speakers? Morel, Dynaudio, Rainbow, Hertz, JBL, etc.. What's your budget on speakers? Once you determine what speakers you want, then decide the amp. There's plenty of 4 channels available in the market that is adequate for the job. You don't have to spend a fortune for amplification. What size is your factory speaker cutout?
If you are referring to the price on Pioneers website then yes but I checked on crutchfield and they a lot cheaper. I would say 300$ Budget for components and 250-300$ for 4 ch Amplifier. It's 6.5" the provision in the doors. Yes, I am looking at Morel etc. but these came up and I couldn't find much information when googling on these Stage 4 speakers so I thought I'd ask here.

Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C132PRS PRS Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C172PRS PRS Series 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

Normally things cost double for me given local tax laws and freight. I can only afford these because a friend is coming in from Dubai in a months time and I'd end up paying a lot more if I bought these locally due to shipping and Import duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to the price on Pioneers website then yes but I checked on crutchfield and they a lot cheaper. I would say 300$ Budget for components and 250-300$ for 4 ch Amplifier. It's 6.5" the provision in the doors.
Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C132PRS PRS Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C172PRS PRS Series 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

Normally things cost double for me given local tax laws and freight. I can only afford these because a friend is coming in from Dubai in a months time and I'd end up paying a lot more if I bought these locally due to shipping and Import duties.
If your speaker cutout is 6.5" then you should look for a 6.5". That's a very universal size that every company will have. If your friend can bring it in for you, then that opens up even more doors for you. Pioneer is a budget brand. It's not bad but I feel for $300 range you can do better if you look around.

Since you have the Morel Ultimo SC, why not go with Morel Comps? They would be badass together.

Amazon.com : Tempo 6 - Morel 6.5" 2 Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Alittle cheaper..

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO609C-Premium-6-5-Inch-Component/dp/B00ANI3LAK/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423719471&sr=1-11&keywords=jbl+components

Here's a nice JBL amp that's within your budget

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-A1004-Watt-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B0040X31KE/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&srs=2529692011&ie=UTF8&qid=1423718297&sr=1-5&keywords=jbl+amp

Very affordable JL amp

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-JX360-Full-Range-Amplifier/dp/B004MLXWSK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423718418&sr=1-5&keywords=4+channel+amp#productDetails

good korean amp

Q4-90

I take it that since you're buying the Pioneer DEH-80PRS, you will go active with these speakers correct?

If your speaker cutout is 6.5" then you should look for a 6.5". That's a very universal size that every company will have. If your friend can bring it in for you, then that opens up even more doors for you. Pioneer is a budget brand. It's not bad but I feel for $300 range you can do better if you look around.
Since you have the Morel Ultimo SC, why not go with Morel Comps? They would be badass together.

Amazon.com : Tempo 6 - Morel 6.5" 2 Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

Alittle cheaper..

Amazon.com: JBL GTO609C Premium 6.5-Inch Component Speaker System - Set of 4: Electronics

Here's a nice JBL amp that's within your budget

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-A1004-Watt-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B0040X31KE/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&srs=2529692011&ie=UTF8&qid=1423718297&sr=1-5&keywords=jbl+amp

Very affordable JL amp

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-JX360-Full-Range-Amplifier/dp/B004MLXWSK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423718418&sr=1-5&keywords=4+channel+amp#productDetails

good korean amp

Q4-90

I take it that since you're buying the Pioneer DEH-80PRS, you will go active with these speakers correct?
Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm uncertain. Do you think the front stage will be powerful enough? Currently I'm passively running entry level Pioneer Front components with 6x9s on rear tray. While experimenting, I shut off the rears and the front stage as is was not powerful enough and the bass coming from the rear was over whemling.

I would ofc prefer to use my HU to it's full utility and run active 3-way but the Front stage must be good enough. Another thing I should mention is I'm in the process of having a new ported enclosure made for the Ultimo SC which will make it even louder so it's vital that the Front speakers will keep up.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I'm uncertain. Do you think the front stage will be powerful enough? Currently I'm passively running entry level Pioneer Front components with 6x9s on rear tray. While experimenting, I shut off the rears and the front stage as is was not powerful enough and the bass coming from the rear was over whemling.

I would ofc prefer to use my HU to it's full utility and run active 3-way but the Front stage must be good enough. Another thing I should mention is I'm in the process of having a new ported enclosure made for the Ultimo SC which will make it even louder so it's vital that the Front speakers will keep up.
Depends on car really. From what I remember you drove a small hatchback type car right? Most of the time 2 way front stage run passively is not powerful enough to balance with a powerful sub unless its a small car. When you change the setup to 2 way active, it will for sure be louder and clearer overall. It is also speaker dependent as some are not built as strong. The cheaper ones will distort easier. Basically with passive setup you have a limitation until you have to add more speakers so it doesn't distort. I've ran 2 way passive comps in the front with 6x9's in the rear before and I never liked it. When I switched to fully active front stage, huge difference in loudness and clarity. If you go full potential and decide to go 3 way active, man that thing will be so loud and clear you for sure would not need rear speakers. It's almost a hindrance if anything. If it's a bigger SUV/Van type of car, then there's where you would need extra speakers in the back. Otherwise with most standard cars, you will be surprised what an active front stage can do if properly setup. The only bad thing about active is it is very time consuming to tune and it's very hard to get right at first especially if you're new to this procedure. There's a possibility you can make it sound worse and even blow the speakers if you don't know what you're doing. One thing you will notice once you switch from passive to active, you will see that the speakers are going to be more efficient in power since the slopes will be filtered beforehand and amplified after the fact. Passive speakers are very inefficient because of all the power that's required and then people think it's not loud enough and crank it up louder to find out it distorts. They tend to get hot easily after long periods. Active will use minimal power and be way louder. You will have more control on how your speakers behave and what exactly you want to filter out. 3 way active is even more time consuming than 2 way active. If you need any more info on this subject, just PM me anytime. I will be glad to help.

I say instead of buying 2 cheaper pairs of speakers, spend all your money on your front stage and you will not be disappointed. This is only my opinion though. Everything is subjective. I just know from my experience, I prefer active all the way. I wouldn't do it any other way. It's not to say that passive speakers can't sound good, it's just you can get it's full potential with active.

Just to give you a better picture, I went from $100 comps passive to $600 rainbow comps passive and still wasn't fully satisfied. It was an improvement but I still felt there was distortion at high volumes and I had no way of manipulating the sound I wanted. I even tried Bi-amping passively and I had a little more control of highs and mids but that was it. It's almost practically the same. When I went fully active, I was getting frustrated with the process and had to take my time. There was so much things I can change that I felt overwhelmed. Every day I made subtle changes so I can actually hear a difference with the different music I listen to. Eventually when I put enough time into it, I was so happy that I would never imagine going passive again in any full SQ system.

Depends on car really. From what I remember you drove a small hatchback type car right? Most of the time 2 way front stage run passively is not powerful enough to balance with a powerful sub unless its a small car. When you change the setup to 2 way active, it will for sure be louder and clearer overall. It is also speaker dependent as some are not built as strong. The cheaper ones will distort easier. Basically with passive setup you have a limitation until you have to add more speakers so it doesn't distort. I've ran 2 way passive comps in the front with 6x9's in the rear before and I never liked it. When I switched to fully active front stage, huge difference in loudness and clarity. If you go full potential and decide to go 3 way active, man that thing will be so loud and clear you for sure would not need rear speakers. It's almost a hindrance if anything. If it's a bigger SUV/Van type of car, then there's where you would need extra speakers in the back. Otherwise with most standard cars, you will be surprised what an active front stage can do if properly setup. The only bad thing about active is it is very time consuming to tune and it's very hard to get right at first especially if you're new to this procedure. There's a possibility you can make it sound worse and even blow the speakers if you don't know what you're doing. One thing you will notice once you switch from passive to active, you will see that the speakers are going to be more efficient in power since the slopes will be filtered beforehand and amplified after the fact. Passive speakers are very inefficient because of all the power that's required and then people think it's not loud enough and crank it up louder to find out it distorts. They tend to get hot easily after long periods. Active will use minimal power and be way louder. You will have more control on how your speakers behave and what exactly you want to filter out. 3 way active is even more time consuming than 2 way active. If you need any more info on this subject, just PM me anytime. I will be glad to help.
I say instead of buying 2 cheaper pairs of speakers, spend all your money on your front stage and you will not be disappointed. This is only my opinion though. Everything is subjective. I just know from my experience, I prefer active all the way. I wouldn't do it any other way. It's not to say that passive speakers can't sound good, it's just you can get it's full potential with active.

Just to give you a better picture, I went from $100 comps passive to $600 rainbow comps passive and still wasn't fully satisfied. It was an improvement but I still felt there was distortion at high volumes and I had no way of manipulating the sound I wanted. I even tried Bi-amping passively and I had a little more control of highs and mids but that was it. It's almost practically the same. When I went fully active, I was getting frustrated with the process and had to take my time. There was so much things I can change that I felt overwhelmed. Every day I made subtle changes so I can actually hear a difference with the different music I listen to. Eventually when I put enough time into it, I was so happy that I would never imagine going passive again in any full SQ system.
You're right it's a small hatchback. Suzuki Swift to be exact.

I hope you guys are right and it'll be loud enough. I will go three-way active then.

Too bad I can't find any place to get some feedback on these Pioneer Mids though, love Pioneer from a younger age and would have been nice to have Pioneer back in my car. Might as well go with either the Maximo or Tempos.....same sound from what I've been told.

Thanks!

Actually i just realize those are stage 4 pioneers. I normally dont like pioneer components but the stage 4 comps are a very decent set. If you can get them for cheaper than the tempos or maximos then go for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.