Replacing two 10s with what?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ronoman
10+ year member

I've had two 2012 Alpine Type-R 10s running on an Alpine MRX-1100 since August of last year.

This past weekend I installed an XSPower D975 in the trunk to help out the car with electrical problems, now that the amp is happy, but with clean power my subwoofers are MELTING. I have my gains set mathematically to not clip and I dont run my system too hard, but after a 15min drive home they were much hotter than I'd like. I've been wanting to upgrade my subs for a while, so here's my chance. I've looked into PSI, FI, AQ, Soundstream, Sundown, RE, and NVX. The PSI platform twos have really caught my attention and for the money I don't think I can go wrong..

My question is.. what size/quantity of woofer would go nicely with 1100w? I like the air movement of my dual 10s but I want to get that lower bass that I havent really felt before..

I'm also interested in getting a custom box built, I know that the enclosure is a HUGE part in how the subwoofers perform, so for this upgrade I'd like to do it right! Is there a well known box builder in the midwest?

I have a Chrysler 200 so I don't have a huge amount of trunk space, but I could fit a 15 if it was up and down instead of back and forth.

Financially Id like to keep it under $750 or so...

1 PSI P2 15" -Worried about trunk space

1 PSI P2 12" -Worried that it wont be as loud as my current setup

2 PSI P1 12" -Worried P1 isn't manly enough

2 PSI P1 10" -Worried it will sound the exact same

those are my options right now.. but I'm open to anything else.

Okay. Thanks! I think I'm going to go with two platform 1 12"s. I can probably put together a good box, but I'd rather have it built for me, who do you reccomend?

Okay. Thanks! I think I'm going to go with two platform 1 12"s. I can probably put together a good box, but I'd rather have it built for me, who do you reccomend?
i recommend either PSI or SPLAUDIO he builds kicka$$ subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.