Replacing stock amp questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

nrgy
10+ year member

USA
I currently have a stock amp that does not use RCA plugs. Instead it uses some sort of rectangular plastic connector with which the wires are hooked into. If I want to upgrade the amp, would I simply need to cut the wires from the current connector, hook up rca plugs to each wire, and plug it into the new amp? Or would it be more compicated than this?

By the way, the stock amp is a 40 x 4 running two woofers and two midrange and tweeters.

you have 3 choices

1) least expensive choice: get an amp with high inputs and run your speaker wires into it just like you have it now.

2) but a line out converter, this will essentially turn your speaker wires into rcas

3) run rcas from your head unit.

Just to make clear what I am talking about I took some pictures of the wiring harness connector and the stock amp. Is there a male end with the pin layout as that on the amp that will plug into the current harness? What about for the smaller connector?

I'm not sure if this was what you (rco8786) were referring to about the line out converter?

Originally posted by nrgy I currently have a stock amp that does not use RCA plugs. Instead it uses some sort of rectangular plastic connector with which the wires are hooked into. If I want to upgrade the amp, would I simply need to cut the wires from the current connector, hook up rca plugs to each wire, and plug it into the new amp? Or would it be more compicated than this?

By the way, the stock amp is a 40 x 4 running two woofers and two midrange and tweeters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RCO786 hit it on the head, since most factory amplified systems are a serious PITA to upgrade you will find it is easier to replace the entire system(speakers,HU,Amp)rather then attempt to upgrade it,it is costlier but you will definitely hear the diff.My car came w/that crappy Bose system and since I will most likely trade my car in,in a year or two,I left all stock wiring intact and ran all new wiring.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.