Best option for replacing blown factory speakers?

Coll659

CarAudio.com Newbie
Uk
Hello all. I really have limited knowledge on speaker stuff so hoping someone could give me some advice.

I have a 2015 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2 with a blown front door speaker. Ideally I would like to upgrade a little from the factory speakers, the first problem being there is very little depth to work with thanks to the window so any advice on good slimline speakers would be good. But the main question is what is best option out of the three below which I'm considering (or non of these?)

Option 1: buy a set of component speakers and replace only the door speakers, leaving the factory tweeters in place. This is because I believe the factory tweeters don't have a cross over as such but instead something (resister or something) on the tweeter itself to block out the frequencies it doesn't want. The new ones wouldn't have this so I would have to run crossover wires. Running new crossover wires between the dash board and door panel looks like it will be very very awkward and require quite a lot of dismantling so I'm not keen.

Option two: replace the door speakers with full range coaxel speakers (and still leave the tweeters) this would only really be due to price and speakers available if it works out better than a set of components. But not sure if this would work or cause any issues.

Option 3: remove the head unit ( a touch screen unit) to gain access to the speakers wires which I assume wire into this screen ( correct me if I'm wrong) and identify the front door speaker and tweeter cables (any help on how I would do this would be great) and then cut and terminate the tweeter cables from the head unit and cut the front door speaker cables and install the cross over here, using the factory wires from the tweeter speaker. Therefor not requiring any new cables. But again not sure if there would be any problems with this and if there would be room and enough cable to do this.

Hope this all makes sense, if any one is able to offer any advise at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Door speakers on a factory hu won't have the power to break your ear drums...

You'd be better off watching YouTube vids about car audio then you're out of date books...

Hope this all makes sense, if any one is able to offer any advise at all it would be greatly appreciated.
If the car is not an upper level model, then it will probably not have an outboard amplier. This would mean that the tweeters are wired with the door speakers. In that case, you can use coaxials and not wire in the OEM tweeters, or wire the OEM tweeter and cut the tinsel for the coaxial tweeter. Other option is use components without the x-over or tweeters. Wire the full range direct to the radio along with the OEM tweeter.

Last edited:
What I would do:
Take out the blown speaker on both sides. Test the OHMs with a multimeter. You can verify it's the speaker is bad, and not the wiring or the channel off the head unit. Hopefully the good one is 4 ohms. If it is, you don't NEED to buy new components,

Modified option 1: You could just buy a new set of midrange (components without the tweeters and crossovers), and just replace em. I'm going to guess they are really low wattage, (and therefor they won't cost much). You could probably find a set of 25-30w RMS mids to replace those for $50-$100.

Option 2: I wouldn't do that. I would definitely disconnect the tweeters if you plan on replacing with coaxials, it will most likely be too much highs.

Option 3: Unless you have opened that up and seen, don't expect to have room for two crossovers behind the head unit. There is wiring back there already and if you bunch it up, bend it, pinch it, you will cause an audible resistance.

What is your budget? What are your future biggest plans for your stereo, (are you considering upgrading anything else)? Do you just want a cheap and easy fix? (If so, modified option 1).

No you're not...you could be if you quit acting like you know anything...just ask questions instead of giving ridiculous help...and learn from a book or video or anything from this decade

What you are is someone that will get someone's car burnt down...

Last edited:
If the car is not an upper level model, then it will probably not have an outboard amplier. This would mean that the tweeters are wired with the door speakers. In that case, you can use coaxials and not wire in the OEM tweeters, or wire the OEM tweeter and cut the tinsel for the coaxial tweeter. Other option is use components without the x-over or tweeters. Wire the full range direct to the radio along with the OEM tweeter.
Ah I see. I believe my one does not have an audio upgrade and therefore no amplifier. Thanks for the help

What I would do:
Take out the blown speaker on both sides. Test the OHMs with a multimeter. You can verify it's the speaker is bad, and not the wiring or the channel off the head unit. Hopefully the good one is 4 ohms. If it is, you don't NEED to buy new components,

Modified option 1: You could just buy a new set of midrange (components without the tweeters and crossovers), and just replace em. I'm going to guess they are really low wattage, (and therefor they won't cost much). You could probably find a set of 25-30w RMS mids to replace those for $50-$100.

Option 2: I wouldn't do that. I would definitely disconnect the tweeters if you plan on replacing with coaxials, it will most likely be too much highs.

Option 3: Unless you have opened that up and seen, don't expect to have room for two crossovers behind the head unit. There is wiring back there already and if you bunch it up, bend it, pinch it, you will cause an audible resistance.

What is your budget? What are your future biggest plans for your stereo, (are you considering upgrading anything else)? Do you just want a cheap and easy fix? (If so, modified option 1).
Great info then you very much.

My budget is pretty low just now so will not stretch to full audio upgrade like adding an amp, but I want to replace them with something a bit better than is there. I guess around 200eur. Your idea on option 1 sounds like the best plan just now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...