Replacing Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

raoul_1101

Hello all,

I just joined because I plan on replacing my car speakers and decided it's something I'd want to do myself rather than go to, say, Best Buy. So, what I (think I) know so far... First, I don't need to replace the speaker wire in place, that will work fine. But if I do, generally lower gauged wire carries signals better. Before I am to buy new speakers, I need to find out the size of them.

So now, my questions are:

1) Are there any other specifications for speakers I need to look out for? Like, for instance, wattage?

2) Is there an easy way to find out the size of my speakers?

3) Will any, say 14", speaker fit into a 14"... um.... bay?

4) Where should I get my speakers?

And if anyone is wondering, I drive a '92 Toyota Celica Coupe.

According to crutchfield:

Front speakers

Dash: 4"

Front Door: 6-1/2"

Far rear speakers

Rear Seat Side Panels: 6-1/2"

Are you going to be powering them with the factory radio, aftermarket radio, amplifier?

If just off a radio you don't really have to worry about the wattage as much. I recommend going to a few shops so you can listen to some speakers and get an idea of what YOU like.

I'm powering them with an aftermarket radio, some unknown one, nothing special. Eventually I might get an amp but I think I'll wait because I don't know much about car wiring right now (but am interested).

So, you suggest not buying speakers online? Now to find a store that has some..

The first are a pair of components and the second is coaxial. In short, in component speaker systems the tweeter and the woofer are seperate, and in coax they're built into one.

nothing wrong with buying online. i just suggested going to a store so you can listen to it yourself then you can try to find them cheaper online. everybody has a different preference of what sounds good to them so you can't always rely 100% on what others say sounds good.

and yes you can put components even if the original speakers are coaxials.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.