replacing speakers with different impedance

Sungod067

Hi. I currently have some Infinity Kappa 6X8 component speakers in my front doors being powered by a Kenwood Excelon HU. Both the woofer and tweeter component are rated at 2 ohms, and both are connected to a crossover, which then connects to the HU for a total of 4 ohms (I'm assuming) seen by the HU. The tweeters are a little soft for me and I was thinking of replacing just the tweeter w/ an aftermarket one I like, but that new tweeter is 4 ohms impedance itself. If I replace the infinity tweeter w/ this new one, that would lead to a total of 6 ohms impedance per channel instead of 4.

What would be the ramifications of this? I know if you use to little impedance, it can damage the HU, but what about if it's higher? Can anyone tell me if this would be safe to do?

Thanks!!

There are a few problems with it.

1. The crossover is made for a certain impidence.

2. If it did work through the crossover, they would recieve a completely different amount of power. So more than likely the tweeter would be extremely soft due to the large impidence difference.

Your best bet would be to run either an active setup, or just get a new component set all together.

6 ohms shouldn't hurt it, just keep in mind thats a 50% impidence difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.