Replacing Kenwood DDX812 / KNA-G510 (GPS) with new Head Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

greynolds
10+ year member

I'm considering replacing my existing Kenwood DDX812 and KNA-G510 (GPS addon) with a newer model that integrates the GPS into the head unit and am looking for recommendations that will keep the work to a minimum. I also have a SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner that I'd like to continue using. For the audio, I'm using the preamp outputs to a Boston Acoustics GT-50 amp and Boston Acoustics speakers and subwoofers.

I didn't do the initial install - there's a thread here that details some issues with the installer I used, so there's no chance I'll go back to them and I'm hoping to do it myself this time. The installation is in a 2008 Toyota Highlander.

If I go with a current Kenwood model, such as the Excelon DNN990HD, will it be a relatively simple matter of connecting the existing GPS antenna, SCC1 interface translator, and the other existing wiring (preamp outs, power connections, etc.) to the new radio? Or will I need to get a new interface translator and/or new Sirius tuner (and antenna), run a new GPS antenna cable, etc.? Obviously, if I can use the existing Sirius tuner and the existing antennas, it will keep the cost down and the amount of work involved will be a lot less.

Here's a picture of the existing head unit installed in my car:

RadioOverview.jpg

To remove the existing head unit, is the procedure to remove the narrow rectangular trim piece that's around the head unit, release tabs on each side of the head unit and slide it out? What tool should be used to remove that rectangular trim piece to avoid scratching anything?

If I switch to a different brand (recommendations?), I would obviously need a different wiring harness, but what about the existing GPS antenna and SCC1 (I assume I would need a different interface translator)?

I can handle hooking up wires, the part I'm not very good at is routing wires from one location to another in a car, so I'd like to avoid as much of that as possible //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I spent some more time searching online and found that removal of the radio involves pulling out the vent panel above the radio, the heating control panel (and some other trim panels that have to be removed first) below the radio, followed by removing the 4 screws that hold the radio mounting kit. The radio and mounting kit then get pulled out and the radio is bolted on the sides. I then spent a few minutes at the car and was able to remove the vent panel and enough of the lower panels to be confident that I can get the radio out. So swapping head units should be easy enough.

What remains then, is my questions about compatibility between the existing GPS antenna, existing Sirius tuner, etc. or if I'll have to install all new gear. If someone could answer some or all of those questions it would really be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.