Replaced a stitched subwoofer surround

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
 So I have a sundown sa12 that the surround is damaged beyond patching and it stitched I contact at sundown to see if they have some type of replacement surround available I’ve also looked around and seeing what might work for the sub as in when he ever replace just the surround on a stitched to surround sub? Obviously I won’t be able to stitch the new surround in which is fine as long as it stays together 

Last edited by a moderator:

mestapho

Jun 30, 2018
Sac area ish, CA
 So I have a sundown sa12 that the surround is damaged beyond patching and it stitched I contact at sundown to see if they have some type of replacement surround available I’ve also looked around and seeing what might work for the sub as in when he ever replace just the surround on a stitched to surround sub? Obviously I won’t be able to stitch the new surround in which is fine as long as it stays together 
Sounds like you need to recone it.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/243714-sundown-drop-kit-prices-updated-11-3-16-a.html

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
This thread is worthless without pics. Just because you have a stitched surround doesn't mean it can't be fix but I'm not gonna sit here and guess what the damage looks like.

OP
MattinMO

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
This thread is worthless without pics. Just because you have a stitched surround doesn't mean it can't be fix but I'm not gonna sit here and guess what the damage looks like.
 What difference does it make what the damage looks like it’s got to be replaced. from rubbing up against the seat and a truck and there’s  pieces of rubber missing from crumbling from rubbing against the seat. Got sub from a friend for the free. It was still thumping and he had no idea what he had done to the sub until he flipped his seat forward to swap amps 

7F8927E7-037F-42C4-8101-2B1422B70EF6.jpeg

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
 What difference does it make what the damage looks like it’s got to be replaced. from rubbing up against the seat and a truck and there’s  pieces of rubber missing from crumbling from rubbing against the seat. Got sub from a friend for the free. It was still thumping and he had no idea what he had done to the sub until he flipped his seat forward to swap amps 

View attachment 1305
Because it's impossible for someone over the internet to just guess if it can be fixed. It's hard enough just seeing pics. Without, come on bro. Didn't know if it was a small tear or what. Butt fukk. That's pretty rough. I'd fix it. It's just foam glued to two more solid surfaces. I don't know how smart you are, but I could fix that. 

OP
MattinMO

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
Because it's impossible for someone over the internet to just guess if it can be fixed. It's hard enough just seeing pics. Without, come on bro. Didn't know if it was a small tear or what. Butt fukk. That's pretty rough. I'd fix it. It's just foam glued to two more solid surfaces. I don't know how smart you are, but I could fix that. 
I’ve had to replace quite a few jl shitty foam surrounds so shouldn’t be much different other then having to take out the stitches 

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
I’ve had to replace quite a few jl shitty foam surrounds so shouldn’t be much different other then having to take out the stitches 
f**k the stitches bro. The only question is how mechanically inclined are you. Probably a dozen fixes. Last one, duct tape.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
Sundown had a yard sale where they were selling surrounds, spiders, coils, caps and everything for people to build their own drop ins. Im sure Dave leib can hook you up with just a surround.  I personally would just get a drop in with an american coil.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Sundown had a yard sale where they were selling surrounds, spiders, coils, caps and everything for people to build their own drop ins. Im sure Dave leib can hook you up with just a surround.  I personally would just get a drop in with an american coil.
Agree. But I also know where Op is coming from. I would use duct tape.Thor's Hammers.

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
Gorilla tape should work just fine if you dont want to recone it and still be able to use that sub. Id recommend using a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat up the glue from the gorilla tape and either use a roller or just press with your hand enough to make sure it sticks well. prob be best to do both sides of the sub to make it a bit more rugged.Its either that or reone or replace the sub.Gorilla tape is about $6-8 bucks a roll. pretty good tape IMO

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
Find it at Norther Tool, Lowes, H.Depot, Ace hardware, Walmart ect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds