Repairing damaged cone?

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I was cleaning my room today and set a 15" midbass driver out in the hallway. One of the dogs came to see what I was doing, and stepped on the cone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The speaker still works, but I'd like to fix the hole. It's just a speaker I use when I'm working out in the shop, so I don't care what it looks like.

I was thinking about cutting up a plastic milk carton and using epoxy to seal around the "patch". Any better ideas to seal the hole with something that won't flex too much, but also won't add a ton of mass? I really don't feel like reconing it right now. I'll just beat on it until it dies

IMG_0387_zpsnmsojwze.jpg

I was cleaning my room today and set a 15" midbass driver out in the hallway. One of the dogs came to see what I was doing, and stepped on the cone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
The speaker still works, but I'd like to fix the hole. It's just a speaker I use when I'm working out in the shop, so I don't care what it looks like.

I was thinking about cutting up a plastic milk carton and using epoxy to seal around the "patch". Any better ideas to seal the hole with something that won't flex too much, but also won't add a ton of mass? I really don't feel like reconing it right now. I'll just beat on it until it dies

IMG_0387_zpsnmsojwze.jpg
i know you aren't serious huh?

parts express here u come
It's just a shop speaker that I have in a guitar monitor box. Nothing fancy. It just needs to make noise and not sound too bad. I'm not buying a recone for it.

If I had my bucket of polyester resin and 50 yards of fiberglass mat here in Iowa, I'd fiberglass it.

I'm not just going to tape over the hole. Was looking for a more rigid solution. Tape alone would flex a ton, and would it really hold anything in place? I doubt it would stick to the cone very well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.