Reconing a SQ Hdc 3 15

bmk6795
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alright guys so this is my first recone attempt. I found a blown hdc 15 locally for 20 bucks and so I grabbed it. So I cut the softparts out and I got a couple questions for someone with a little more experience than me.

This is where I'm at right now, I cut everything out then started taking the surround off and it just pulled right off. So then I go to start on the spiders and they just came right out.

The drop of glue in this pic is the only glue left from the surround/spiders.

Now the woofer came with the spiders glued to the spacer? Is that right? I'd think its supposed to be glued to the metal ring on the basket then the spacer goes on top right?

Lastly, anywhere I can get a second spacer? This is mine and well for starters one piece has spiders glued to it, and secondly both are cracked in about 6 different places each.

Thanks for any help guys.

The whole spider pack wasnt bolted down?
The spacer was bolted down, with the spider glued to the spacer. Not to the basket then the spacer bolted down on top of them.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

And the spacer has about 6 cracks in each piece.

The spacer was bolted down, with the spider glued to the spacer. Not to the basket then the spacer bolted down on top of them. 

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

And the spacer has about 6 cracks in each piece.
The bolts in that spacer shoulda went thru the spacers spiders then into the basket..6 of them i think

The bolts in that spacer shoulda went thru the spacers spiders then into the basket..6 of them i think
Yeah that's how the spacer was held in. But the spiders were glued to the spacer, they should've been glued to the basket correct?

The hdc3 recone should come with both spacers with the spiders already glued inbetween them ..u just gota bolt it down...email sq to dbl check
Oh cool ****, I'm gonna have to call them to order the recone anyway. I'm guessing this woofer was reconed before cause the spiders were between the spacer and the basket.

You need to sand the basket/spider landing down to bare metal.

Secondly you CA glue the spider to the spider landing, you do NOT just bolt it down. Assuming you'll be using CA glue from SQ then you don't need to bolt down the spider, just glue it and it'll be fine.

You need to sand the basket/spider landing down to bare metal.
Secondly you CA glue the spider to the spider landing, you do NOT just bolt it down. Assuming you'll be using CA glue from SQ then you don't need to bolt down the spider, just glue it and it'll be fine.
OK I wasnt sure if I needed to sand the basket or not.

I knew I needed to glue it, was just unsure as to what to glue it to, I assumed the basket but was unsure since it came glued to the spacer.

The sq has a bolt down spider pace no need to glue it to anything. bolt down spider packs are for quick recones during comps. u could glue it but that's not required and should u miss align it u won't be able to save the recone. @SPLaudio ; can chime in and confirm this

[quote name='shauncox26']The sq has a bolt down spider pace no need to glue it to anything. bolt down spider packs are for quick recones during comps. u could glue it but that's not required and should u miss align it u won't be able to save the recone. @SPLaudio ; can chime in and confirm this[/QUOTE]

It needs to be glued, the spacer is garbage. That's what sq says.

you don't need the plastic spacers you sand the spider landing on the basket. they use bolts because they are made in china and they don't use ca glue over there too expencive and have to be in a controlled environment.

I have built many of those and can be a good sub with good soft parts.

ya scored really good for $20 withs worth bout $80 with basket...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bmk6795

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
bmk6795
Spartanburg, SC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date