Recommend a HO alt

89montero
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My montero has a 75amp stock alternator. While I don't have a very extreme system I plan to upgrade soon as well as add a winch plus I already have some 4x4 lights.

I'm looking for one with around 200amps. It DOES NOT need to be a direct replacement, i have access to all the tools to make a bracket for any alternator to fit.

Are there any cars that came stock with big, powerful alts? This way I could pick one up at the pull-a-part yard.

Physical size doesn't really matter. I will do the big 3 upgrade before this.

thanks but are there any vehicle that came stock with beefy alternators. The local pull-a-part charges $8 for an alternator no matter what it came from so I'd like to try that one before I fork over several hundred.

Just do it right the frst time and get a Mechman. I was gonna go the route of getting a stock one rewound, but I chose otherwise. Could not be happier.

What do you plan to run?

please dont do the alt for 8$ it will not last

look up MECHMAN IMO lookn at his buisness he is one best for the fact that he makes his own housing so its not a over wound stock alt

jus my 2 cents

please dont do the alt for 8$ it will not last
look up MECHMAN IMO lookn at his buisness he is one best for the fact that he makes his own housing so its not a over wound stock alt

jus my 2 cents

why wouldnt it last...he just wants high nice high amp alt from a junkyard, it doesnt mean its shi t cuz its from there

If you have tools/supplies to make an alt bracket why not run a 2nd alt. I think those montero's are like the isuzu troopers those years...should have plenty of room for a 2nd.

I want run just one big one.

What's wrong with the $8 ones? At the yard by my house, you just remove the part yourself, and they have a standardized price list and everything is dirt cheap, except a big block engine NOTHING is over $50.

If a vehicle had a powerful, reliable alternator stock there is no reason why it doesn't have any life left because the car is in the yard.

Did any vehicles come stock with heavy duty alts? I would like to at least look into this before I drop the big bucks for a new one.

I don't know how big the gm big cases are stock, but that might be your best bet. My stock alternator was 150 amps in a mercedes, but the odds of finding that in a junkyard is not very good.. A lot of older cars only had 60-80 amp alts as well, so you might have to use ebay and look at a lot of alternators and figure out what you can find.

Yeah nothin wrong with pick and pulls. I actually just pulled an alternator and hood from one near me. Didnt wanna pay all that cash for a new alt just to replace it soon, so I picked that one up for 13 bucks at the pick n pull. Works like a charm and should hold up til I can get one from mechman.

look for ambulances , firetrucks, military vehicles, buses etc
i was about to say, ask that kid where he got his 500 amp alt for his eclipse off an ambulance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.