Recommend 400 watt sub in sealed enclosure

If you're wanting SPL of any sort you should always go ported unless space is an issue.
Some subs to look in to: Sundown E, Audioque SDC2.5, American Bass XD and as you mentioned the DCON.

And is there a reason you're running at 4 ohms and not lower?

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

If you're wanting SPL of any sort you should always go ported unless space is an issue.

Some subs to look in to: Sundown E, Audioque SDC2.5, American Bass XD and as you mentioned the DCON.

And is there a reason you're running at 4 ohms and not lower?
The amp I'm looking at is sundown 125.2, which can be bridged at 4ohm to 400 watts. There is also a sundown 1000d for $80 more which can run 600watts @ 2ohm. It can also do 1000watts@1ohm, but then (from what I've read) I'll have to get 0 gauge wire and also some other things in order to make sure it doesn't **** too much juice out of my battery. I guess I wouldn't mind running it at 600watts@2ohm. But if I can get a decent set up with the weaker amp I'd rather do that and save the $80.

The reason I'm sticking with sundown amps is cuz I already have a sundown 125.2 amp to run my components, and want the amps to have the same design so that I could set it up in my trunk looking nice.

The amp I'm looking at is sundown 125.2, which can be bridged at 4ohm to 400 watts. There is also a sundown 1000d for $80 more which can run 600watts @ 2ohm. It can also do 1000watts@1ohm, but then (from what I've read) I'll have to get 0 gauge wire and also some other things in order to make sure it doesn't **** too much juice out of my battery. I guess I wouldn't mind running it at 600watts@2ohm. But if I can get a decent set up with the weaker amp I'd rather do that and save the $80.
The reason I'm sticking with sundown amps is cuz I already have a sundown 125.2 amp to run my components, and want the amps to have the same design so that I could set it up in my trunk looking nice.
Those are both good amps, but I'd recommend the monoblock and running at 2ohms. It'll give you an upgrade path further down the road and, with the current draw you'll be using at 2ohms, shouldn't need to do anything beyond the Big 3.

Those are both good amps, but I'd recommend the monoblock and running at 2ohms. It'll give you an upgrade path further down the road and, with the current draw you'll be using at 2ohms, shouldn't need to do anything beyond the Big 3.
O really. The big 3 is actually what I was trying to avoid. I thought it was for systems 1000+ watts? If I'm doing 400+250=650watts total, would I still need big 3?

It's good for any system of any power. Not a requirement, but it'll keep you from taxing your stock electrical system to the point where you might need to replace an alternator. Big 3 isn't too hard, though, and you're really only adding wire to existing points. Something to consider...

The 2012 Alpine Type-R subwoofers are very good for the money (SWR-12D2/D4). I was reading a review in a Russian web site. Measured T/S parameters are extremely close to the published ones. Very low distortion performance. Practically non-existing 3rd order harmonics. These subwoofers are supposed to have a very symmetric BL over a stroke and extensive inductive treatment. Measured sensitivity about 86dB at 1watt/1meter. Compare this to Dayton HO-44s abysmal 83.2 dB 1watt/1meter. So on your 400watts the Dayton HO-44 will sound about as loud as a Type-R on 200watts. Type-R's are also optimized for a reasonably sized sealed box. These are rated to handle 1000watt RMS, but I don't see why these subwoofers will perform worse on 400watts than another subwoofer that's rated for less. 86dB sensitivity 1watt/1meter is pretty standard for this class. You can't go wrong with these IMO.

Having said this, another sleeper SQ sub for sealed box is Infinity Kappa 120.9w. These sound very clean to my ears, and then drop low and have a strong impact when you need. Very low published inductance indicates someone worked on shorting rings and such for better SQ. Fine qtc in a 1-1.2 cu ft sealed box. There is pretty good review of these on talkaudio.co.uk. I power mine in 4ohm with a mono block that does 600watt RMS, although this sub sounded pretty sweet even on modest 250watt RMS being sent by a 5-channel amplifier.

It's good for any system of any power. Not a requirement, but it'll keep you from taxing your stock electrical system to the point where you might need to replace an alternator. Big 3 isn't too hard, though, and you're really only adding wire to existing points. Something to consider...
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up

Cool, I will look into that. Do they do well sealed?
Also, I've come across tc sounds epic, soundsplinter rl-i, and dayton audio reference hf. Any comments or suggestions on either of these?
they do better ported but yes they will work well sealed im still gonna mess around on my 18 with a sealed box just havent had the time to do so

2012 model Type Rs don't have very good SQ from what I've heard. Older models do however, and are even cheaper. They've got a 600rms rating too. Maybe look for a couple Type R 1242 or 1243s

2012 model Type Rs don't have very good SQ from what I've heard. Older models do however, and are even cheaper. They've got a 600rms rating too. Maybe look for a couple Type R 1242 or 1243s

[quote name='mclerico83']i have a rd audio sonance sub and 12 inch basket i will ship to @SPLaudio ; for him to custom build a sub and he can build it from 500rms up to 1000rms :) amazing subs for exactly what you want, sealed, small ported, or big ported :)

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/492473-splaudios-custom-subs-thread.html

40 shipped to his door[/QUOTE]

hmm, interesting. So he basically builds old subs back up? What type of sound characteristics would I expect? Same as the original sub he's rebuilding, or does he have his own sound signature?

[quote name='mclerico83']i have a rd audio sonance sub and 12 inch basket i will ship to @SPLaudio ; for him to custom build a sub and he can build it from 500rms up to 1000rms :) amazing subs for exactly what you want, sealed, small ported, or big ported :)

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/492473-splaudios-custom-subs-thread.html

40 shipped to his door[/QUOTE]

hmm, interesting. So he basically builds old subs back up? What type of sound characteristics would I expect? Same as the original sub he's rebuilding, or does he have his own sound signature?

You probably heard a highly subjective and misinformed opinion, which is very typical of "internets". (But if you know of a review that says "I played A B and C with this sub, and then swapped for another one, retuned and gave a listen again, and here is the result", give me a link) Put a subwoofer into a wrong box or bad tuning, and it will sound like poo. The 2012 Type-R is supposed to be pretty much like the previous model, but with stronger motor. As I have said, hard measured _objective_ numbers say it's supposed to be a good product. It's not always that a subwoofer's published T/S parameters are pretty much the same as measured, as well as combined with good distortion profile. I could post a link to an article if it was in html format. It will be out in a few months.

You probably heard a highly subjective and misinformed opinion, which is very typical of "internets". (But if you know of a review that says "I played A B and C with this sub, and then swapped for another one, retuned and gave a listen again, and here is the result", give me a link) Put a subwoofer into a wrong box or bad tuning, and it will sound like poo. The 2012 Type-R is supposed to be pretty much like the previous model, but with stronger motor. As I have said, hard measured _objective_ numbers say it's supposed to be a good product. It's not always that a subwoofer's published T/S parameters are pretty much the same as measured, as well as combined with good distortion profile. I could post a link to an article if it was in html format. It will be out in a few months.
Could you post this link? Im looking for a SQL sub (as my first sub) and something and the new flat BL curve attracts me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.