rebuilding a subwoofer

If you are very patient... Not worth the effort though. Some good softparts, motors and frames to be had on forums. My .02$ get something with a 3" coil since they're the easiest to find parts for, and get a GOOD motor from the start. Coil/cone/spiders/tinsels/glue will cost you 50$+ regardless of whether it's on a flea market motor, or something monstrous. I wouldn't even bother with a sub that isn't worth at least 200$ built up.

I have some odd ball cones/coils/spiders here I'd let go cheap (1 of stuff that I'd never find a pair for, etc.) Hit me up if you are in the market.

Not rocket science, but you will probably break a few before you get a good technique. Use CA glue ONLY and keep a gallon of acetone. You can recover a coil a lot of the time if you only have mechanical failure.

You coming to the Sanford show this weekend?

where would one buy said machine or is it something that has to be built custom?
From what I'm told it's like a lathe.

I've talked to a guy who has wound his own. You need to use aluminum flashing (forget how thick? I can ask him if you are really serious) and wrap it around a tube the correct diameter. You do a few winds at a time, then CA glue... repeat as needed. Very tedius, and you are limited to round wire only. Considering say a big *** 8 layer coil will cost you 55$ or so, it'll take you more time/materials/effort than that's worth to try to DIY.

ill be working this weekend unfortunately your probly right i should just stick to putting prebuilt parts together if i build i honestly just wanted to do it for the learning experience.

ill be working this weekend unfortunately your probly right i should just stick to putting prebuilt parts together if i build i honestly just wanted to do it for the learning experience.
There is plenty of experience to be had in building a sub, but winding your own coils, if anything, is a waste of time.

winding isnt something you want to attempt, unless you know what your doing, but you dont technically NEED a machine to do it, lol if you wanted to start practicing winding start with a stater or armature.

yes length and diameter,material set the inpedence.

there is different resins (glue) to hold the wire and the good coils have 500F resin on them vrs china with 350f or lower...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.