Rear fade--possible?

loud_drums
10+ year member

Mesa, AZ
I want to know if this is possible and how it would work. I am running identical front and rear speakers in parallel off of my amp. So right now, my front/rear fade is "locked". Is there any way to even get the rear speakers to fade--even 1 or 2 dB?

u want the rears quieter are you asking? HUH! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

2 q's...

are you runninga 4-channel or a 2 channel? (if its 2 channel, the answer is no...)

2) how many preouts on your deck? if you dont know, waht model is it...

Not sure exactly how these questions apply--but I have a 5 channel amp. I do have three pre-outs on my deck, as well as 3 inputs on my amp. Right now, the front channel is for my four speakers mentioned above. The rear channel is for two more speakers that are being used for mid/bass range. The fifth channel is for the sub.

ok, in taht lies your problem..

teh only way to get front rear fade, is if you are running 4 speakers off a 4 channel amp...

not suix off 4 channels...

The 4 speakers of the front channel will see (combined) as much wattage as teh 2 in the back...

so basically, the two fronts are each seeing half of waht teh backs are...

the four speakerz connected to teh fronts are being treated as 1 set of speakers by your amp.

so, between those 4, you cannont fade between them... once you get the otehr 2 hooked up to the rear channel, you will be able to fade from the 4 speaker front stage to your 2 speaker rear stage, tahst it...

Thanks for the reply, wonderbread. I am a newbie, but not that new--what you told me is obvious to me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm thinking about finding a couple 1 ohm resistors, and putting them in series with the rear speakers to attenuate their sound (of course, I would have to find some that are rated at the wattage I'm running the speakers at). I realize this will cut the effeciency of the amp a little, but that's a sacrifice that I'm okay with.

Is this idea gonna work? Is there a better idea?

thx--

Mark, that won't work, because my front and rear speakers are both running off of my front channel output of my amp, (I'm running a different pair of speakers off of my rear channel output)--unless you're being sarcastic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

After staring at that page for awhile, it seems fine for fixed output setups, but near the beginning it says "The position of the sliding terminal is determined by the position of the volume knob on the l-pad." Nowhere in the article does it talk about the construction of a "volume knob".

Help?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.