Rear door and rear pillar speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list
The vehicle is a Mazda cx5. Rear doors have 5 1/4 speakers and play from about 250hz to around 8khz from what I can tell. And 3inchers in rear pillar cargo area are for surround effect. But again are going to play the higher frequencies. I'm debating weather or not to use full range speakers in these locations or coaxial. Anyone with similar situation have any insight on what might work best

I've used tang band 2.5-3 inch full range drivers with great success. Also the tang band 5 inch subs, mids and full range are pretty good options.
I have all Dayton Audio up front. If I'll go full range I'll just stick with Dayton. I'm just thinking coax may be a better option. Then again, it may also make things to bright

Personally id ditch the cargo speakers and just upgrade rear doors. Do you plan to amp them or just use factory power.

Personally id ditch the cargo speakers and just upgrade rear doors. Do you plan to amp them or just use factory power.
Just going to let the Bose amp power those speakers. Rear doors get about 20 watts each. Cargo speakers get about 15 watts each. According to the Bose people. I already had some Dayton Audio paper reference speakers they where the perfect size so I threw them in last night. Sounds better than stock. But I still think a 2 way setup would sound better. Just not sure if I should make it a component set or go with a coax set. As far as the cargo speakers, I do have some 3inchers that will fit. Same ones I used in the dash. Never had a car with all these speakers locations. Lol

The problem with this is the factory wires may have a band pass xover on them. Adding a tweeter may not do much at all.

The problem with this is the factory wires may have a band pass xover on them. Adding a tweeter may not do much at all.
Rear doors are definitely band pass filtered. Just doing some signal sweeps with the door open and my head in front of the speaker, they seem to play from about 250hz to around 8khz

If your talking about the Dayton dc130 it has great output to 5k and by 8k it's natually 20db down or more by 12k it's more than 40 db down. You would need to test again with a full range speaker to verify your results. If it is infact covered at 8k you might get a little bump in the 5-8k range from adding a tweeter

If your talking about the Dayton dc130 it has great output to 5k and by 8k it's natually 20db down or more by 12k it's more than 40 db down. You would need to test again with a full range speaker to verify your results. If it is infact covered at 8k you might get a little bump in the 5-8k range from adding a tweeter
Dayton rs150p-4 is what I used. It's listed as a 6inch but it's more like a 5inch. I haven't done a signal sweep since I installed them. I'll try that tonight. They actually seem louder and more importantly cleaner than the stock speakers. But I'm getting a little bit of that beaming effect. Not all the time, just certain songs. Not really looking to bump the highs, just mainly to smooth things out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.