Rear deck sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Ohio
Hello all. I just out a system in my 2009 subaru legacy. The sub I went with is a TS-A2000LD2. My trunk carries a toolbox and suitcase at all times for work, so sacrificing trunk space was not an option. I mounted the sub in the factory sub location in the rear deck. Torsion bars run under the sub, so I had to run a shallow mount. The sub really impressed me with how hard it hits for a 250 watt 8 inch, but the bass seems loose to me. Even though this sub is advertised as a free air sub, would I get better performance if I built a box undernear and sealed it to the under side of the rear deck?

Hello all. I just out a system in my 2009 subaru legacy. The sub I went with is a TS-A2000LD2. My trunk carries a toolbox and suitcase at all times for work, so sacrificing trunk space was not an option. I mounted the sub in the factory sub location in the rear deck. Torsion bars run under the sub, so I had to run a shallow mount. The sub really impressed me with how hard it hits for a 250 watt 8 inch, but the bass seems loose to me. Even though this sub is advertised as a free air sub, would I get better performance if I built a box undernear and sealed it to the under side of the rear deck?
Yes definitely, I have seen a couple rear deck installs and they always sound great hitting the glass like a hatchback does just have to make sure everything is in phase or run a sealed box.
Loudest trunk setup I ever heard was a band pass with a port up through the rear deck to vent all the sound into the cabin

Awesome than you. Here's my box idea. Box will be 1/4 inch fiberglass. Bottom of box 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch away from the magnet (for torsion bar clearance under box). Is that enough? Because of space constraints, box will be very irregular shape. The side closest to the trunk opening will have to hug one to two inches away from the sub. In order to meet manufacturer recommended box size I would have to add more size to other areas of the box. Top of box will be totally open. On top of shelf I'd like to run a piece of 1/2 inch mdf. This will give me a surface more sturdy that the deck to mount the sub, and will raise the sub up 1/2 inch to give me clearance for the box. Sound deadener between the mdf and the deck, and then on the underside sound deadener between the box and the deck. Will drill holes through the deck, and screw the box to the mdf on top of the deck. Are there issues with this setup, and would it cause problems having the deck metal essentially seperating the box and the face?

On second thought I might be able to pull the torsion bars and come up with a way to momounan air strut for the trunk. I think its time for a little redneck engineering.

On second thought I might be able to pull the torsion bars and come up with a way to momounan air strut for the trunk. I think its time for a little redneck engineering.
Easiest thing to do would be to gut the rear deck build a frame around it with mdf bolted to rear deck edges then bolt in the enclosure as a receiver into the frame on the deck. I did a pair of tens like this and they sounded great 3 cubes is doable

Easiest thing to do would be to gut the rear deck build a frame around it with mdf bolted to rear deck edges then bolt in the enclosure as a receiver into the frame on the deck. I did a pair of tens like this and they sounded great 3 cubes is doable
Could you go into a little more detail? I'm having trouble picturing it.

First cut out a rectangle
Cut out the biggest rectangle you can in the rear deck while leaving 2 inches around the edges so you can bolt up an MDF frame into the rectangle shape. That will be the outside dimensions for your enclosure build the enclosure with those dimensions and the height going all the way to the floor of the trunk.

Cut out the biggest rectangle you can in the rear deck while leaving 2 inches around the edges so you can bolt up an MDF frame into the rectangle shape. That will be the outside dimensions for your enclosure build the enclosure with those dimensions and the height going all the way to the floor of the trunk.

Thats a cool idea, but it wouldn't really work for my use case. Going all the way to the floor would kill my trunk space and my fold down seats. This is my work vehicle, function must be priority. However, I may be able to cut an opening on the right side and hang a box in it. This sub only requires .15 cu/ft, so something say 10x10x5 should be plenty.

Unrelated to my original question, but how do you guys feel about those rca volume knobs? I listen to everything, from classical to rap and from country to death metal. Adjusting the sub happens frequently, and its a pain to navigate to the bass options on my head unit for every song.

Coming up woth ideas, how far would an 8 inch sub like this usually protrude up when it hits? Need a rough idea for safe distance from a grill.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.