Rear Cushion Subwoofer Enclosure.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Foxhound547

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all. First time poster here. I have a 2001 Forester and I'm looking to design a box. I'm relatively active and want to reserve as much usable space as possible. I have looked into a couple placement and sub options. First, I considered a custom fiberglass enclosure in the passenger cargo window then inside the spare tire well, but air space was a problem. So, I started thinking if it were possible to convert the rear cushions into the box itself, leaving the bench fully functional. I've settled on 2 10" JL audio W3 shallow mounts because they seem to offer the best frequency response and require little air space. Initially, I considered p3 shallow mounts but their frequency response just isn't low enough.

I understand how to lay the fiberglass but I'm lost how to execute all my steps. I purchased a salvaged rear cushion for tests and measurements then marked the area needed at the base for the closest air space. When I receive the speaker rings, I planned to mark their area and cut a recessed pocket where they could best fit. It looks like they'll have to be angled slightly to the rear to avoid the cross member near the front. I'll cover and prep the area on the base of the cushiom for fiberglass and exceed the area needed by a bit.

Here's where I get lost. Upholstery removal, foam cutting, and support brackets within the seat. How are these assembled and constructed? How do I deconstructCould I cut the brackets from the old seat and bond them to the new shell? Is it best to 🔪

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.