Really good SQ for a Type R

HighOnFire
10+ year member

Hey I'm looking for a box that will have really good SQ, period(as best as possible). I know sealed boxes are better for SQ def. but Type R's are made for ported boxes, so what should I do?(I like the open sound of a ported box because of how it lets the bass breathe mor naturally, but when you listen to as much metal as I do a ported box doesnt cut it the same for the fast double bass and such)

Can someone give me some plans to work with maybe? My dimensons for space are about 3 feet long by 1 1/2 tall. The trunk of a Grand Prix GT is pretty spacious, and those dimensions sound right. Someone help me out and get some closure on this enclosure situation!

your not necessarily doing to lose SQ in a ported box, just dont tune it to like 20hz hehe. if designed and built right, a ported box will sound just as good as a sealed, but as you said, could possibly differ on sharp burps such as metal.

is this a 12 or a 15? im guessing a 12. From what your looking for, i would probably shoot for around 2-3 cubes at 33-36hz. 12" r's seem to like right around 2.5 cubes and around that tuning.

and any way you look at it, a type R is a type R. they are great subs for the price, but the SQ isnt going to blow your mind hehe. They will sound good, but they can get kinda messy at high volume.

can someone who knows how to plug in numbers give me some plans I guess for around what supergumby said. 2.5 cubes and like 33hz. I used to have one at like 30hz in my cadillac (huge box btw, it was like 3feet tall by 14inches) and it sounded great for everything but metal a lot of the time. I guess similar to that but a lil better SQ. I loved it and it hit hard as sh!t. I guess I'd like something like that again.

(p.s. does more or less cubes mean better or worse SQ?)

well yeah, most people with 12" type-r's like right around 2.5 cubes tuned to 34hz-ish.

Box guru's correct me if im wrong, but if you want better SQ, more similar to a sealed enclosure while staying ported, you would want to tune higher in order to make less airflow than tuned lower, correct?

if this is correct, then ya might want to tune a lil higher than 34 if your really really really stuck on SQ heh. personally, i think you should be fine right around 2.5cubes and around 34hz

hmmm... to speak (type) basically... The lower that you tune the box the better the driver will preform on the lower notes before the it hit the tuning freq.

I would doubt that any music people would be listen to in there car (maybe Jazz or Classical) would go anywhere lower then say 28-30Hz.

So as you tune the box higher you are just increasing the cut-off freq that the driver can be controlled efficiently. Below the cut-off the output will be attenuated a couple of dB.

Also, you really don't want to tune much lower then the drivers rated Fs value.

The type R is really not a SQ driver IMO. If you want the increased gain of a ported box and the control (for the lack of better words) of a sealed, you can always build a bandpass box or design a specific ported box based on the Ts parameters. Either way you'll should use WinISD to model this to double check that you not going to have problems.

I know they are not the best SQ but they are **** good for the $$ and they hit hard! Bandpass boxes def. have the worst SQ. Ill check out those plans for 34hz, i've seen that to be a popular tuning as well. Any hardcore box builders out there that have something to say about what I should do? What is a sub that you guys would also say is a hard hitter + SQ? Probably lookin for a 12. Let me know, thanks!

Also, what would ti sound like if I build just a bigger sealed box? Like bigger than usually recomended. right now i have it ina Q-logic box with the ported baffle on. I haven't used the sealed one since I first got it.

you need to plug the TS parameters into winisd and look at the graphs to get a clear picture.

BTW... not say the type R is the right driver for a bandpass but, if a bandpass is designed correctly you get the best of both worlds with in the passband freq. IE you will get the control of a sealed box and an increase of output of a ported box.

The problem is that most BP boxes either have a very narrow passband, designed incorrectly or the lower tuning of the pass band is to high... making them fat boxes only good for certian freq.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.