re-wiring speaker wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bradl79
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NLR
ok i am going to rewire my speaker wires, currently using 12ga, should i stick with it or just go with 16ga and save some money, the longest length will be about 20ft and running about 80-100 rms, these are for just the fronts, not subs.

1. stick with 12 or not necessary and go with 16ga?

2. what is a recommended brand?

thank you.

If you already have the 12g I wouldn't switch to 16g. If you don't have any wire then 16g should be fine. The 12g will probably be overkill but if you already have it, why not overdue wiring in case you decide to upgrade later on?

I know sky high is kind of a forum boner right now but I have some of their wire and it's actually really good. I also have some shok industries wire and that is at least the same as sky high. I'm impressed with how good some of the wire i've received has been. Auvio (I believe that's the name) looks to be pretty good speaker wire as well. Honestly, whatever is the cheapest for you to get and you recognize the brand is going to be fine.

this is what i got last time 50' Feet OFC True 12 Gauge AWG Oxygen Free Copper Speaker Wire Car Home Audio | eBay i liked it, but 12ga was to big b/c i have to rig it to go from my trunk to front door, so i was thinking is 16ga would be good enough and get 50' Feet OFC True 16 Gauge AWG Oxygen Free Copper Speaker Wire Car Home Audio | eBay instead or even 50' Feet OFC True 14 Gauge AWG Oxygen Free Copper Speaker Wire Car Home Audio | eBay
I bought the 16g wire through ebay as well. It's sky high wire. It's pretty good wire.

I'm going to be running 16g to all 4 of my components powered at 50x4. Most runs should be under 20' as well. 14g should handle 100w pretty easily. There was a calculator or diagram that showed specific gauges based on length and power. I'll see if I can find that again.

Here's a calculator to help you decide:

Speaker wiring calculator

will you hear any improvement doing this ? what are your doing it? seems like a waste of time to me tis all, please explain why.... cheers

have you checked to make sure it's the speaker wire? not the rca's (try swap the left for the right side at your amp and see if the static changes sides (tis a lot of work to run new speaker cables to find out that it wasn't the problem tis all)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.