random voltage drop

Incredibad

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 19, 2019
newport new va
i have a 2015 silverado 1500 stock alt kicks out 150 amps i have a rockville class d mono amp that that should pull 155 amps at 1 ohm my subs are atm 1.5 ohms so i should be ok i have taken my truck to advanced auto and had them run the diagnostic on my charging system i didnt feel it was a great test but every thing check out ok. i am able to monitor my system voltage through my head unit i have seen my system drop to 12.4 on the drive home which i know is not good any ideas to try and fix it budget is a bit tight and i dont wana just start swapping things.

n2audio

OPTIDRIVEN
10+ year member
Dec 29, 2001
Lawrence, KS
How long does it stay at 12.4v?
If your radiator fans are kicking on simultaneously you could be getting a ~30A hit which would momentarily drop any electrical system to battery voltage. As long as it's recovering in a few seconds - it's doing what it's supposed to do.

OP
Incredibad

Incredibad

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 19, 2019
newport new va
well i have about a 20-30 min ride home it was at 12.4v half the way and i even let the truck stay running for anoth 5 to 10 mins when i get home it stayed at 12.4 the whole time

n2audio

OPTIDRIVEN
10+ year member
Dec 29, 2001
Lawrence, KS
12.4v is about what a healthy battery will do when the alternator is dead -- or not doing anything.
How many miles on the truck? Always a lot of amplifier power? Do you blast it a lot or not very often?

Alternators don't always just die all at once. I had an alt once that died on the car and left me stranded, and then test fine when I took it out.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
You don’t have a problem. Your truck has the “regulated voltage control” (RVC) system. The computer turns the alternator on and off to increase the fuel mileage. If the computer senses a increased load, it will turn the alternator back on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds