Random no audio, cd player works fine, please help

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have an 00 civic ex. I wired up a jvc kd-r420 with aftermarket speakers a few years ago and for the past year the audio will work one day and then not work the next. Or cut out while I'm driving. It progressively got worse until a few months ago when it stopped working completely. The cd player works fine and I've tested the adapter, harness, speakers and speaker wires with a mulitmeter. I rewired everything 3 times including the other day when I found out that one bad speaker or speaker wire can cause them all to stop working. I don't know much about car audio or electrical, I know my wiring is good though. I decided to try unplugging the rear speakers and the front speakers worked!! but then.. I wanted to find out which rear speaker it was, so 1 after the other I plugged back in a rear speaker and tried it. To my confusion I had completely no audio with either of the rear speakers plugged in on its own, So I thought oh well I'll deal with that some other time at least I have some sound again! but when I tried it again with both rear speakers unplugged I had the same issue!! I tried again and again and the weird thing is is some of my attempts it would work for a second or two and then stop. the longest that the sound was coming through it was coming in and out like it was trying to work and following that attempt I electrical taped over all of my crimps that I did in the front and the rear speaker wires that could be grounding out. btw afterward I tested both rear speaker connectors with a multimeter and got nothing. I just don't understand what's going on. From what a read online it sounds like its either a grounding wire or a short and I don't even know if thats the same thing. I checked ALL my fuses with a multimeter. Any advice would be apprecited and I would be happy to post pictures if needed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.