Random Box Pics!

I like Kicker. Overall, I think they're alright. I really enjoy designing for L7's and Solo X's. I wish I could get a new Solo X design, the Solo X's are great subs. I really like them.

I mean, the boxes they want aren't overly big for their actual Sd. Their square cones and the increase of Sd over a round woofer of same size is actually significant. So, a 12" L7, for example, might like a 2.25-3 cube net ported box. But that's no overly big, it's just because these subs have such a huge cone area. It's actually fairly proportional. I mean, they are on the bigger box side of woofers, but so are a lot of very good woofers, like Sundown. They need big boxes too, the X's and up, and they work well.

I did 2 L7 15's in 10 cubes. There's another trick to Kickers that I'm not going to give away. Not really a trick, it's just knowing how to design and read woofers. Those 2 15's were stupid loud. High immediate mid 140's, no doubt, in a music box, straight out of the gate. Didn't sound the best quality wise, they can sound a little....sloppy? Just inherently they do, it's not the worst by any means. But they do get loud and will play a wide bandwidth.

Usually the Kicker L's excel in 4th orders. Idk how much the L's have changed since I've done a bandpass for them, but I feel like I could make some people mad with a 4th order bandpass L7 box.
Yeah. I built a ton of boxes for kicker over the years. Even the L5 was a loud sub in a big ported box. My favorite sounding box for the L715 was 7.5 cubes @ 34 HZ. That sub was loud as ****.

This is a short video a customer sent me of my design for him that he's built. Lmk if videos aren't wanted. Just sharing for fun, I love low bass, those of you who know me know that. I'm a dude that likes to play stupid low just for.....science. Yeah, science. That's my excuse. I love it when people want me to design low end musical boxes for them. Sundown's are sososososo good at low lows, with ease. That's why they're so fat, the surrounds, the overall deep design of the woofer.

This video was sent to me with only the title of: "25hz"

The boxes for the square kickers always seem to be one size up cube wise. Meaning that an L7 12" needs the airspace of a 15" round sub. And a 15" L7 needs the airspace of a round 18" sub. Probably just a cone area thing.

This is a short video a customer sent me of my design for him that he's built. Lmk if videos aren't wanted. Just sharing for fun, I love low bass, those of you who know me know that. I'm a dude that likes to play stupid low just for.....science. Yeah, science. That's my excuse. I love it when people want me to design low end musical boxes for them. Sundown's are sososososo good at low lows, with ease. That's why they're so fat, the surrounds, the overall deep design of the woofer.

This video was sent to me with only the title of: "25hz"

You can tell how low it is by how those punches sound LOL. Those punches sound like they hurt some.

The boxes for the square kickers always seem to be one size up cube wise. Meaning that an L7 12" needs the airspace of a 15" round sub. And a 15" L7 needs the airspace of a round 18" sub. Probably just a cone area thing.

You're 100% correct. I remember the L7 15's IIRC, this is all from memory, they have an Sd around 150 in^2 or so, where most 18's have 180 in^2 or so Sd. So, they're gonna take a box very close to what a full size round 18" would. I think they used to recommend all the way up to 6 cubes for the L7 15's, at least years ago. 6 is a little too big, I think that would sound way more sloppy than 5 or a hair over 5 cubes net ported. IIRC they recommended 3.25-6 cubes net for the L7 15's. LOL. Better know what you're doing, that's quite a range 🤕 :ROFLMAO:

:eek:

Do you have pics of said box? Was that one sub?
I don’t have pictures. This was 10 years ago by now. It was in a Chevy suburban. He first had me do a box for 2 of them. It was 11 cubes at 35 HZ. It was too loud for his wife and baby, so he had me do a box for a single L7, which I did in 7.5 cubes. Didn’t solve his wife problem. Still too loud. His final box was for a JL W6.

I designed this box. I think I built it too, I didn't carpet it. Like, Buck needs a high chair and a bib when it comes to carpeting boxes. My brain just doesn't compute. Sorry if this is a repost, it's just relevant to the Kicker discussion. I need to work too, lol, I have a sick 2 15's 4th order I just got done with, need to get that up and posted. But these were L3's iirc, back when they first came out. 3x 12" L3 Kickers in a Suburban. That's my sh*tty red Chevy Aveo in the shop, manual I might add, that got totaled eventually by not me, lol. We were all glad when that car ate the dust. Sad excuse of anything called a car, it was dangerous to drive. Every f*cking inside door handle fell off by itself at like 80,000 miles, with no system in it. Just good ole Chevy quality.

IIRC, I this box is net 6.75-7.5 cubes, something like that. I think it's around 2.25-2.5 net per woofer @ 34 hz

You can tell how low it is by how those punches sound LOL. Those punches sound like they hurt some.

I should film a video of my 8's since we have it all tuned and playing good with the new SIA3500. We also got the lithium installed. Do people actually like to hear the music or just see how the vehicle is flexing?

I should film a video of my 8's since we have it all tuned and playing good with the new SIA3500. We also got the lithium installed. Do people actually like to hear the music or just see how the vehicle is flexing?

He said he can hear the music. He's got a pair of focals. I think his cell phone was just struggling. If you listen to the end of the video when he's right next to the box, you can hear the microphone sound like it's taking a poo. It literally sounds like the pressure is so high that the mic is struggling, to me.

And yes, you should film all of your bass experiences :cool:

Another Kicker build. Just got finished. Two Kicker L7 12's in a Suburban on a 2,000 watt Avatar amp. I think that they are underpowered a little. 1" MDF.

20210729_190322.jpg
20210729_190342.jpg
20210729_192748.jpg

Last edited:
Do you wanna share the specs? Just curious, I love seeing everybody's specs relative to performance, or aimed goals vs achieved goals. I understand if not :)
Havnt been on here in a long time. The box is a 2.6 to one. 29 cubes ported 11.7 {i believe) sealed. 2 separate sealed chamber's with 5 pounds of poly per chamber. Q landed in the mid .8 range with a vented side tuning of 45hz. Port area was roughly 700 sq in.. built with 10 layer pre finished *****, Triple baffle and double wall except for the sides. The only way I was able to fit the subs in a side by side orientation. Subs are 4 sundown zv5s with Corey blue gang recones.

8- 15" Deaf Bonce build on 4 - 30K Taramps in a sixth order. It's in a Chevy Astro van with a pile of lithium. The last build split the door by the window. It should be nasty. Hoping for mid to high 160's.

20210731_184445.jpg
20210731_184341.jpg
20210731_184355.jpg
20210731_184431.jpg
20210731_184408.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...