quick help

Hugebass
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ok i got a 10' xplod subwoofer but the sub on box says it has 800watts does that mean it will run with 800W max? or someone said it will only run with 250 rms what would that mean if it doesn't run close to 800w the sound quality will be shitty? thanks for any help

peak power:800 Watts

Rated power:200 watts

So what will the subwoofer run off of.. im hooking it up to a 500Watt Amp so what would be the output ya think?

didnt see anything that said rms.

like i told alot of people im just now learning audio and i don't know everything about RMS and peak power and rated power and such but the guy above said that a 500w amp would be too much my my subwoofer but it the amp is only 500w and the sub is peak 800w seem like it would be fine and how do you adjust the rms would that be on the amp?

sorry for being a newbie lol

500W 3/4 channel amp would only put out maybe 40-50W RMS a channel. What is the voice coil configuration of the sub? SVC(single voice coil) or DVC(dual voice coil)? What is the impedance?

sorry for being a newbie lol
everyone is at some point.

Do not be concerned about peak ratings here. If the rated power is 200 watts then that is prolly your RMS. Get an amp that puts out 200 watts rms at the impedance of that sub (prolly 4ohm but check the box), that'll be the max you wanna run it at if you're starting out (i take it you're not planning on burping that Sony).

Set the gains according to the tutorial.

Here is your lesson.

All max power ratings on any audio equipment - Mean nothing dont even read them.

RMS power is what will guide you on purchases.

If your sony says 200 watts 800max. You should only care about the rms no matter what.

So you will need an amp to push 200-300 watts RMS. Even if the amp says 800 watts max forget about it. Only RMS!

the sub is 4ohms and seem like 500w amp wouldnt bust my sub if the rms is at 200 cant you space out the watts on each channel so it doesn't all go the sub cause i bought it a week ago and would hate to take the amp back. lol

slow down, lol.

That amp is 4 channel and probably around 50W RMS a channel. You have too many channels for just a sub, but it still can work, if need be. Wire the sub in bridged mode, IIRC using the + on the left side, and - on the right side of the 1/2 channel. This will give your sub around 100W RMS. This also leaves two other channels open on that amp to power something else.

If you want this amp to only power the sub, I recommend bringing it back if you can. A mono(1 channel) or 2 channel amplifier would be much better for just running a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.