Quick battery question

Participant count
  • Participant list

uz1290
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So i recently bought a kinetik hc1400 and went to go get it load tested. Came out with a bad cell, yet still managed to hold 94% of its charge. Hooked it up to my car and noticed a delay in starting the car, but none the less, it turned the car on numerous times. Is this possible? Would you guys say the battery is still good or no? Thanks

if you bought it new send it back. if you bought it used...its fine and wont hurt really just down 6% lol but im sure the price was down more than 6%so tis all good

if you bought it new send it back. if you bought it used...its fine and wont hurt really just down 6% lol but im sure the price was down more than 6%so tis all good
Haha true that. I bought the thing on ebay so I'm pretty sure I can get a refund (hopefully)

it will still start the car.... for now. its not going to be long before the other cells in the batt decide to pull from one another and kill the rest of the battery. i wouldnt trust it at all. i work with batteries that do that and people like yourself, most of the time i see people come in and test that way, they will toss the batt back in then wonder why in a couple weeks they are back for the same reason

it will still start the car.... for now. its not going to be long before the other cells in the batt decide to pull from one another and kill the rest of the battery. i wouldnt trust it at all. i work with batteries that do that and people like yourself, most of the time i see people come in and test that way, they will toss the batt back in then wonder why in a couple weeks they are back for the same reason
Ohh well thanks for the useful input, especially since you work with batteries a lot more than I do. I had always thought that once a single cell was dead, the whole battery itself wouldn't operate under a load. I guess I'll be looking to get a refund.

Dead/dying batteries are bad for your alternator as well. If a battery has a low voltage the alternator will charge more, but when the voltage is consistently low the alternator will always be charging more than it should. It wears down the life of your alt and can damage other components.

See this is what kind of got me, when it was load tested it still floated in the in 12.7s range, and even when I connected it to my car, it never dropped below 12.5s. But as many have said, it may still be functional for a short period of time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.